OT? How do I get rid of burning smell

I put a thick plastic tray on the electric hob and must have knocked a knob, as one of the rings was very slightly on. I came down in the middle of the night after smelling burning, to find a 9" circular hole in the tray. Now, days later, I can still smell the acrid smell of the burnt plastic. Can anyone suggest ways of getting rid of this smell? TIA, |FC

Reply to
freecycle

open the window, put the hob full on, and go out for the day.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

SNIP

Sorry I should have said. The ceramic hob cleaned up perfectly, it's the smell hanging around the house that I'm trying to get rid of. |FC

Reply to
freecycle

Clear the stale air by opening windows, and then do a detailed stiff test around to find out where the smell is lingering. Anything over the cooker (e.g. extractor, cupboards, or ceiling) is a likely candidate and may need washing. Also any fabrics, which easily pick up anything like that. The cooker itself is a very likely source too.

I came back after a day away, to find my living room smelt of a bonfire which must have happened next door. A fan in the house had been drawing air in through the living room window vents. Most of the smell was in the curtains, but I didn't get round to doing anything about it very quickly, and within a few weeks, it had gone. Back in the days of smokey pubs, I'd sometimes find my suit jacket or trousers stank after taking a customer to a bar, and it would have fallen to bits in weeks if it was washed every time this happened, not to mention the cost of dry cleaning it. Often, taking it outdoors and giving it a very vigourous shake would make the suit wearable again without stinking like an ash tray.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Put one or more electric fans blowing air out of open windows.

I'm considering plugging a small light into the stove as a warning that it is switched on at the wall, since the damn fool stove designers have the element warning lights switching on an off all the time while they are in use, so they are useless as a warning. I don't need a clock on the stove.

Reply to
Matty F

plates of cut onions around the place?

Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

You can get cooker isolators with a neon built in.

Or more sensibly change to a gas hob. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dont worry. The senses acclimatise to it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Running the vacuum cleaner nozzle over them sucks the smell molecules out.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Febreeze products are incredibly effective at removing odours (as distinct from masking them) I brought an armchair back from my Mothers house. She smoked 40 a day and we could smell the thing from all over our house. 2 or 3 heavy doses of Febreeze removed the problem very efficiently.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Febreeze on fabrics and carpets as has already been suggested and burn candles in the rooms. (any old candle - does not need to be scented - the wax in the combustion vapour absorbs the smells well).

Reply to
Peter Parry