How to get rid of rubber smell

I have a guitar stand (made by Stagg) which I purchased on the internet to save myself a couple of quid (lesson learned there).

It is ensially an A-Frame with a rubber moulding at the top which covers the hinge but more importantly provided a rest for the back of the guitar to prevent damage.

It's this rubber piece that I have a problem with.

It's quite heavy duty industrial rubber and it stinks. It doesn't take long for the smell to permeate the room.

It does smell heavily of rubber but I also wonder whether it could of come from fire\\smoke damaged stock.

Had I bought it locally I would have returned it by now but as it was an internet purchase the hassle and cost of the postage just isn't worth it.

So can anyone suggest a way of ridding the rubber of it's smell? I've tried leaving it outside for a day to air but it is as strong as ever.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather I have a guitar stand (made by Stagg) which I purchased on the internet to

I suspect that it may just be the elasticisers and other stabilising chemicals evapourating off the surface..

I'd suggest rubbing on some activated carbon (which is particularly good for absorbing any excess sulphides) and then wrapping over the top with cling film. The clingfilm should have an immediate effect on pong reduction and, with any luck, when it is removed in a few days, the problem will no longer be there..

The cheapest place to get the stuff could be to break apart a disposable filter intended for a chip pan, or something similar.

Reply to
Palindrome

Bicarbonate of soda

Reply to
Dogpoop

Dogpoop & Sue

Thanks for the advice guys.

Do you think eithr of these will have a permanent effect. So far I have found that when I wash it uses the washing up liquid, the smell reduces considerably but not altogether but after a few hours its back - like it leeches to the surface, I clean it off and then more leeches out.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

I bought a rubber mallet about 7 years ago. It took about 5 years before it stopped stinking out the garage, but I still occationally catch a whiff of it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nigel Heather I have a guitar stand (made by Stagg) which I purchased on the internet to

Get some cotton cloth and cover the rubber, fix with cable-ties/double-sided-sticky-tape/whatever-works-for-you. It won't fix the smell, but it'll stop the chemicals in the rubber attacking the paint on the guitar (yes, it happened to me).

Reply to
Ian Prideaux

"Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" I have a guitar stand (made by Stagg) which I purchased on the internet to

JT