How to get rid of fruit flies all over my kitchen

Suddenly, we had fruit flies all over the kitchen, so, we went on a hunt and found a bag of Costco grapefruits where the lower one was their home.

Throwing out the entire set, we *still* have fruitflies.

We found some infesting a potato, of all things. But, we still have fruit flies.

It has been about 3 days since we found the grapfruit, and 2 days since we found the potatoes.

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?

Reply to
Dieter M?ller

ants, spiders and frogs are natural predators of fruit flies

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Didn't they teach us in college biology that fruit flies only last about

3 days? No wait, that was how long it took until the next generation was born.

Get them to follow you. Leave the house and make a noise like a grapefruit.

Reply to
micky

I use a 2 litre pop bottle. A mixture of fruit juice and diluted white vine gar lures them into the jar and most die there. Also when a number are flyi ng or crawling inside the bottle, I grab it and covering the top, give it a shake or two.

Eventually they will disappear if there is no new source of food available. Keep all meat trays clean before disposal in garbage bags and keep empty p op containers in sealed recycled bin.

Have had previous infestations so have had some experience with the pests.

======

Reply to
Roy

Here's a simple remedy. Get a little glass/container, put about a

1/3-cup of apple cider vinegar (or wine, but that's a waste) in the little glass and add about 1 or 2 drops of liquid dish detergent to the vinegar. Set the 'baited' glass where the bugs congregate.

If you have that many of the little buggers flying around, perhaps you may want to use several little glasses with the vinegar/detergent solution around the house. Because the soap negates the water surface tension of the vinegar, those little buggers sink and drown. Works great, I know, because it's the trick I use when those fruit flies become pestersome in my home.

Sky

Reply to
Sky

Don't leave food laying around and they'll eventually go away.

Reply to
The Clitorus Whisperer

Vacuum cleaner

Reply to
philo

I've done the same and it works. Takes a couple of days to be rid of them all, and eggs may still hatch for a few more days.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Get a small mouth jar/bottle. Place a lure (mix of frut juice/apple cider/ small amount of vigner) in the bottom with a funnel in the neck.

Flys go in and cant find their way out. When the bottle is full or no longer attracks flys (quickly) remove the funnel and cap/cork the bottle then toss.

Reply to
NotMe

Red wine works too, if you tend to have same laying around but not apple ci der vinegar.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Apple cider vinegar works very well to successfully attract fruit flies to their ultimate demise and is quite inexpensive when compared to any red wine. IME, a funnel is never required. Red wine will also work, but then, that's a waste of wine if it's a good vintage ;)

Sky

Reply to
Sky

Pied grapefruit of Hamlin? Gets all the fruit flies to follow him.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Winter.

Reply to
rbowman

Snip

That works. WW

.
Reply to
WW

I use a windex spray with a few drops of soap and diluted with water, which knocks them right out of the sky if you get the mist fine enough.

They seem to die in the soapy water, but I can't explain why.

I also use the classic which as others have said, is a bit of over ripe fruit sticking out of a liquid of either beer, wine, or vinegar.

But the windex spray gets them where they land on surfaces. I have some pictures of the effect, if anyone is interested.

Reply to
Danny D.

You can use spray and other devices that most companies are selling to kill these insects. And also these devices help you to permanently protect your kitchen from these flies. 'What your stock broker doesn’t want you to see'

stockbrokers

LOL...We don't need any postmortem pictures of dead flies as proof that your method works.

Reply to
Roy

You can also consult with any termite control company they may also help you in this matter that how to control flies in you kitchen and other places in your home. 'What your stock broker doesn’t want you to see'

stockbrokers

I'd like to see what the stuff looks like.

Reply to
Kerry Blethan