How to find a quiet shaver socket?

To force google to include a search term use a + in front of it.

Have you considered a stand-alone isolating transformer feeding a normal (non bathroom) shaver socket. You may still get the hum, but can at least move it elsewhere!

e.g

John Rumm

ebay does.

Reply to
chop

Why can't the national grid use isolating transformers instead of ordinary transformers then no-one would ever be electrocuted?

Reply to
Scott

Isolated supplies are fine for an individual appliance, but very difficult to maintain for a whole installation. Plus there are many applications where you really do want things like earthing and equipotential bonding.

Reply to
John Rumm

Going back to someone else's question, could you install an isolating transformer outside the bathroom and a standard (or Schuko) socket inside?

Reply to
Scott

I think you’ll find that John Rumm has already answered along these lines!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Wet shave. Problem solved. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

So he has. I have made a mistake, for which I can only apologise.

Reply to
Scott

Individual houses don't have their own transformer.

Reply to
chop

charge your shaver elsewhere, they only buzz when on, which is only when something is plugged in. Another approach might be to mount the transformer using rubber grommets or silicone.

Reply to
Animal

I wired mine into the light circuit. There's a little light over the mirror with a pull switch, the shaver socket is only powered when the little light is on. I'd want it on anyway if I was using the socket.

Reply to
Alistair Tyrrell

I know that. That's why I said 'national grid' and not 'the premises'.

Reply to
Scott

As I suggested yesterday ...

Reply to
Scott

Do you have a mains powered shaver (which must be very rare these days)? I am sure charging a shaver or a toothbrush would take a lot longer than your light is on for.

Reply to
Scott

I have an LED striplight with a pull cord and two sockets and that seems not to hum, and the other bathroom has it built into a face plate, and that seems OK as well.

I suggest replacing what you (OP) have with something up to date.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Difficult to find decent shaving cream now, apart from aerosols which I prefer to avoid.

There used to be one in a white tube with blue lettering (name escapes me) which had lanolin in it and was my preferred product but like Kiwi shoe polish it seems to have vanished.

Reply to
Andrew

Unless you regularly have US visitors why on earth do you need a dual voltage one? Especially in your own en suite bathroom!

Removing the transformer will definitely prevent it from humming.

FWIW I use a Braun rechargeable shaver lasts a few weeks on a single charge and no trailing leads.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I use brush-on shaving cream. No problem in getting some from Trumpers. and. I bought a tin of Kiwi polish in the autumn.

Reply to
charles

But will also remove the isolation that it supplies and so it will no longer be suitable for use in a bathroom - okay if there is just a toilet and washbasin in there, but not if there is a bath or shower.

Reply to
SteveW

But the transformer isn't only for 120V shavers

Reply to
Andy Burns