buzzing shaver socket

we have a shaver socket in the en-suite. It is only being used to charge swmbo's electric toothbrush.

As the brush is being charged, buzzing which gets louder over time, can be heard from the socket, and it is definitely the socket, not the brush.

My plan would be either (a) go to the nearest shed and get a replacement socket or (b) - ask the wise magi of uk.d-i-y if there is anything else I should check first ?

thanks

Reply to
mike

It can happen that the transformers buzz, sometimes this is due to the core moving, and you can use superglue to fix it solid, and sometimes it isn't, and some transformers don't have a 2 part core ...........

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Could well be the toothbrush charger is a SMPS, and presents a 'spikey' load to the transformer. Don't worry about it. It's a bit like a dimmer buzzing in principle. Most do.

If the noise is actually a problem, I think fitting a mains suppression capacitor across the transformer might cure it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)