How the kinell do I paint this?

If you had any Marine cadets (some did) he'd have visited there too..!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I am aware that this is well OT but as with most technical folk I like to be reading and dealing with fact, as opposed to laymans suppositions.

It is not called a Bosuns Pipe but is a Bosuns Call, with which "Pipes" are made, the RN equivalent of bugle calls.

The Wiki article on the Boatswain is, as it often is, not completely accurate. My knowledge is from close on 25yrs service. The officer mentioned as being the last RN Boatswain held the title as a largely nominal role, in as much as he was in overall charge of the RN seamanship side of RN boats. Twas usually an officer in the days of sailing ships but that largely changed withthe advent of steel ships. In practice, I can assure you that most RN ships carried and probably still do so, usually an NCO or Warrant Officer, whose job and title was Bosun on the ship. His sidekick being, appropriately, the Bosuns Mate. The submarine (Boat) equivalent being the Scratcher and Scratchers Dicky (Mate).

The actual commissioned officer on the ship or sub, who is in overal charge of the seamanship/crew side of things, is the First Lieutenant (Jimmy), to whom the Bosun reports.

On the subject of whistling, yes, it is frowned upon but in all my time in the RN I never heard of anyone actually being charged and I am certain it is not actually an offence (Although an Electronics Artificer I also had, at various times to do duties as a Regulator, I also did the Divisional Officers course), a bollocking and any urgent shitty job that required attention, was usually carried out by the miscreant. The origin of the whistling ban is, as it so often is, of a rather murky history and is largely divided into not causing confusion with "Pipes" and the other origin is that it was a ban on whistling in the galley to ensure that the chefs (I use that term lightly) were not scoffing the victuals they were supposed to be cooking.

To go even further off topic, in submarines there are a good many more no, nos, such as use of the word "Close". That word is only used in reference to closing up to certain sations ie, Close up to Action Stations etc. As submarines are much more dangerous and more noisy environment, particularly in the old diesel boats that I served in, there is a need to avoid any confusion, so items such as doors, hatches and valves etc are always "Shut". Any transgression of that ordinance is met by withdrawal of submarine pay for an often lengthy period.

Here endeth todays lesson.

Mike

Reply to
Old Git

Didn't you used to deal with pressure washers? Surely you got an old one lying about. Just wait for a windless day.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Sorry to prolong this but I need to make an apology as some of the above is, crap too be honest, after talking about fact as well. I have several illnesses and take large amounts of prescription drugs and I should have learnt by now, 1) Not to do more than one thing at a time.

2) Check what I compose before taking my medication and committing articles to print. I was working on a couple of other, similar themed subjects, at the same time, for a friend and did some horrific cut & pastes.

There were Bosuns on some of the larger, more modern, ships but not, I believe, generally. Although, each ship had Bosuns Mates who did the piping and also manned the shipborne end of the gangway, when alongside. The last bit about the relationship with the submarine equivalent was meant for another article about the ships "Buffer", who controls maintenance of the ship.

The rest is OK.

Reply to
Old Git

Did you know that there is a place called Lower Kinnell near Ontario, Canada. A Kinnell village in Angus, Scotland. There's a Kinnell township in Rhodesia. But I can't, for the life of me, find a place called "Far Kinnell"........

If anyone can help on this, it would be much appreciated. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Messy. As an 18 yr old I got the job of snowcemming our workshop using a stirrup pump and bins of snowcem. It *does* go on the walls. Also the roof, the floor and on anyone passing.

Reply to
Alang

That would be Faslane, where I spent about 7yrs. If you can't see across the Gareloch it's raining, if you can, it's about to. :-)

Reply to
Old Git

I think you are missing a Kinnell, since I was lead to believe there were four of them... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Kinnel, Mill Ln, Alfington, Ottery St Mary, Devon EX11, UK :-)

or the one the dog isn't sleeping in...

Reply to
Rod

In message , BigWallop writes

Bizarrely, there's Lower Ramsbottom but the people up the hill objected.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Hee Hee !!!

I've visited a village in Peru called kahki Pantis. Came face to face with a huge wild boar in the jungle, and found out how it got its name. :-)

.
Reply to
BigWallop