How to strip paint from copper ?

I'm thinking to rebuild a victorian lamp post lantern. It is in a sorry state but is complete and can be made good. All copper construction so can be straightened and soldered. It has been painted, and overpainted, many times. I cannot make any repairs until the metal is clean

Any ideas please on how to remove the layers of paint? Using heat & scraper is, I think, a non-starter. Too much damage to flat areas and all but impossible in more intricate areas. I don't know effect what nitromors or any other paint stripper might have on the metal.

I hope, when this in in good shape and workable, to leave it to weather eventually to a pleasant green. It will be kept well out of distance of thieves, lead strippers and other assorted neerdowells.

Many thanks Phil

Reply to
Phil

I don't really think that Nitromors will have any effect on the copper, especially if you wash the stuff off after it's done its job.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It also won't do any good: you have to catch Nitromors at the right point or the paint hardens again and won't come off. You could use caustic (e.g. Ronstrip) which strips more the longer it's left (up to a point)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Nitromors will be fine as long as you don't leave it on for any significant period of time ( i.e. overnight ). It won't do any damage as such, but it might discolour the metal slightly. Intricate areas might be better stripped with a flame gun and a small pick - or a fine brass brush. You should be OK with regard to any solderwork as long as you keep the flame moving.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

True, you have to keep the stuff moist or you end up with a mess that's almost as hard to remove as the paint.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I've used methylene chloride based paint stripper very successfully on copper pipework. Paint on, leave for a few minutes, and wipe off. Not sure about effectiveness in intricate areas. Might need a stiff brush (made of something which doesn't dissolve in methylene chloride and doesn't scratch copper), and protection against flicking the paint stripper on yourself.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Have it gently sandblasted if the finish is not to be polished.

Otherwise a local paint stripper company might be a better advice service

Reply to
RW

Nitromors. Works fine.

To finish any non-ferrous metal, use a set of Garryflex blocks (rubber erasers, in various colour-coded grit sizes)

also some rotary wire brushes with plastic bristles (great on copper)

Andy Dingley