How best to remove paint spots from brick walls?

Hi,

over the years spots of paint have collected on the bricks underneath my wooden window frames (when I've been a bit sloppy applying the "non-drip" gloss paint)

Does anyone have any "top tips" for getting rid of them?

Thanks!

-- Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Paint remover/stripper. Check on the label that it is suitable for masonry/bricks, and test on one spot first.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Stuff like "Nitromors" degrades the paint film into a swollen rubbery substance. The greater part of this is easily removed, but the residue trapped mechanically in the pores of the brick is less easy to get off. If it is allowed to dry, then the Nitromors treatment won't work a second time.

Probably the best bet is a very generous Nitromors (Methylene Chloride type) paint stripper application followed, after it has "worked" by a very vigorous scouring, maybe by a pressure washer.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Got mine off with Nitromers and a wire brush. Bloody hard work and I didnt get it all off but 'polished' the remainder. Only me that notices it now.

Reply to
Bookworm

But it's on your conscience isn't it ? %-)

On our estate (1975) a great many people have had their traditional timber windows replaced and/or garage doors replaced and the tradesmen

*always* leave the original mastic pointing, often painted white, intact on the brickwork, usually about 3/4 " clear of the new windows

:-((

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Washing up liquid and hot water before it dries helps.

Reply to
Stuart Noble