How not to DIY a new manhole cover

The 120 year old inspection chamber in our back yard has needed attention for some time. Very industrial: just cast iron[1] in concrete. So I finally summoned the courage to apply the 9 inch angle grinder Thursday afternoon to remove the concrete around it. Sure enough, the frame is cracked and badly corroded, and the top course of bricks is loose with a couple of bricks missing. I thought I'd better learn how to replace it and point the bricks when the Victorian craft in making the chamber for 2 inlets and an outlet finally kicked the braincell into life: it's a shared (so public) drain so Thames Water's responsibility.

Can't fault their service: I phoned Thursday p.m., surveyor came yesterday, gang due 11:00 tomorrow to repair/fit/make good.

[1] reminder of how things used to be: embossed with name of firm which was based 400m from here.
Reply to
Robin

Jeremy Corbyn got a manhole cover fetish or whatever you prefer to call it. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Umm..grinder...manhole....

Wrong NG?