Freezer monitoring

I have a freezer in the (attached) garage but unless I actually open the door, the overtemperature warning light is invisible. As this is "overflow" stock, there can be several days between visits.

Any practical suggestions for a way to alert me in the house that things are amiss?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Chris J Dixon formulated on Friday :

You can buy for not much money, bi-metal switches which open or close at preset temperatures. Get one which closes when the temperature rises above 12C, wire that in series with an LED, a resistor and a 9v battery. Instead of an LED, you could use a piezo sounder with built in oscillator, to make a noise.

You can buy more complex ready built sensors, with similar outputs.

Or something ready built, like this?

Harry Bloomfield

Fix an optical sensor to the alarm light and use that to signal back to the house in any number of ways into the main rooms of the house.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Optical fibre ~2mm attached to the indicator warning lamp?

Reply to
Martin Brown

A few years ago I had a weather station similar to this.

I had 2 outdoor sensors one was outside the other in my freezer.

Someone came round and sked me what the device was on the TV, and I said it tells me what the temerature is she said it's wrong it's not -17C outside, I said that is my freezer temerature, she said why do you want to know wha t temerature your freezer is at, so I said why whouldn't I want to know ? , she shook her head and walked away. :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I sense an opportunity for a small start up business supplying a universal gizmo, adaptable to a range of applications.

The o/p could be text/phone to a mobile. The inputs could start with the list already offered here.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Why not just squirt some data over the mains to a central unit (awaits Brians ire ....) ???

I suggested in 2000 that all new builds should be CAT5'd as standard. Obviously now that's CAT6, but I wonder who's doing it.

British housebuilding - it's like a museum tour of the 1970s.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

well-trained dog ?. (don't piss here if there is a red light :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Since I need remote indication, I am trying

If the signal can make it through one wall, the distance is less than a metre to a suitable location for the display.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I have put a lot of cat5e in, but most people are happy with wifi, especially as it has got faster. New builds with foil-backed plasterboard should be fun though :)

I suppose part of the trouble with cabling the house is that new owners will find every socket in the wrong place for them - and with more houses these days having solid floors, it'd be very messy channelling walls for new positions.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Should bother with copper it's so 20th century, just use fibre or skip that and wait for quantum networks. :-)

I think with a lot of the new affordable house you'd just be able to stick a pens through a wall to make a hole don;t need SDSs anymore .

Reply to
whisky-dave

CAT5 predates "universal" WiFi

Fair point.

One "innovation" I pride myself on (not having got the idea from anywhere else :) ) is using 1m 4-way extension leads to solve the "never in the right place/never enough sockets" issue. Just plug a 4-way in, and tuck it under whatever is in the way (sofa, bed, chair, sideboard, cabinet). Then rather than struggling, just pull said 4-way out for the iron/hoover/ whatever.

Also 1-4-way plugs extensions. They plug in and give you 4 switched sockets directly under the main one.

Reply to
Jethro_uk