Tape for use in a freezer

Having defrosted the freezer I have found that a number of the plastic trays have developed cracks in them. Of course it is not my wife's fault even though she is the one who uses it most frequently.
The best solution appears to be to tape them up to hold them together once I've drilled some small holes to stop the cracks spreading but what sort of tape to use? Duct tape/gaffer tape I doubt will have the necessary resistance to damp and cold so I was thinking of something like the aluminium tape used on gutters etc.
Anyone done anything similar and can offer a view please?
On 03/09/16 12:33, Mark Allread wrote:

not the answer you wanted, but I have generally found them not too expensive to replace
plastic cement will repair brittle styrene
foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

I ended up stitching them together with cable ties. That's not very satisfactory either, because it's ugly and the ends of the ties bite you when you pick up the drawer, but I couldn't find anything else that worked.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 27th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
Mark Allread wrote:

Check the type of plastic, usually marked with a triangle and number or letters
<
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/RIC_Updated.jpg

Get a suitable glue for that type of plastic. Leave the trays out to warm up and dry off before gluing, has given me good results.
Mark Allread wrote:

Dichloromethane or chloroform may solvent weld them.

Sticky tape strikes me as a pretty rubbish solution to the problem.
Find what plastic the trays are made of and it may be that there is a solvent glue which will effectively weld the cracks. If not then I think I'd either screw some 'patches' of sheet metal or plastic over them or I'd bind them together by drilling small holes and using cable ties.
--
Chris Green
·

On 9/3/2016 2:11 PM, Chris Green wrote:

I have some which crack around the "handle" recess, and thick clear 50mm tape as sold for greenhouse repairs works fine. As would the aluminium tape, I suspect.
on 03/09/2016, newshound supposed :

+1
I also added some of those U shaped plastic binders they sell in stationers, for binding several sheets of A4 into a 'book' form, where they had cracked at the hand grip.

Those are dead handy, aren't they? I already repaired our fridge with one.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 27th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
Huge presented the following explanation :

Yep - I reinforced all of the drawer molded in finger grips on our freezer, after three broke.
says...

I wouldn't want to use metal since the differential expansion/contraction rates would be a problem.

bout 6 months ago I repaired one with some wide, clear, sticky tape that I had acquired from the pound shop
it's still holding
tim
Mark Allread wrote:

I always use superglue liberally.
On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 06:33:29 -0500, Mark Allread wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions - there are probably enough cracks in them for me to try all the solutions :( but initially I'll go for the Greenhouse repair tape.
On 03/09/2016 12:33, Mark Allread wrote:

I repaired a drawer that the wife dropped with araldite and some plastic strips cut from an asda gift card. Its still ok after two years.