Bosch frost free freezer KGU 3201 temperature display problem in freezer?

I have an odd problem with my freezer. Every few months the temperature in the freezer appears to shoot up getting to -12 or so according to the display on the freezer. If I stick a remote thermometer in there, however, I get a safe -18 or below. I've never had any food go bad. In the past I have defrosted the whole thing (there was some ice build up on the elements).

The main fan is working fine (I can see it slowing down when I open the door) and the freezer is not too full (I think). I know that if I just leave it alone now it will probably be all right in a few days (though its temp warning will go off a few times).

As far as I can tell all is well from a safety point of view but I'd love to know if this is normal? The unit is around five years old and didn't do this in its first three years.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme