Manhole cover woes

I am having extreme difficulty finding steel manhole covers of the following dimensions:

620 x 620 x 20mm

Single Seal

I've been searching around the 'net for ages to no avail. Note: I only need the covers, not the frames.

As it's in the garden it doesn't need to be super strong, as long as it takes my weight or that of the lawnmower then that's fine.

I need to replace two covers, one over the 'solids' and one over the 'water' sections of my septic tank - the existing ones are rusting away to such an extent that the rust has eaten cracks in the tops, so much so that that they almost certainly wouldn't take a person's weight (thankfully they are in my small garden which is hardly used).

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Reply to
jamma-plusser

Take accurate measurements to a local metalworking shop and have them knock up some from Checkerplate.

Thanks, nice idea. What is that likely to cost do you think per cover?

Reply to
jamma-plusser

cheaper than hiring a crane to extract you from the tank the day you forget the covers are rotten and stand on one :)

Reply to
gazz

I'd have drowned long before the crane arrived ........... money saved! ;-)

Reply to
jamma-plusser

I ended up changing the frames after searching in vain for replacement covers

Reply to
Stuart Noble

jamma-plusser,

If there are no compelling reasons not to, why not simply change both covers

*AND* frames - it's a simple and cheap job to do?

Cash

Reply to
Cash

It's what I did. The original frame was in almost as bad a state as the cover. A few months later I replaced that with one that takes block pavers when we decided to pave the whole area. Any offers for a manhole cover and frame? :-)

Reply to
Rod

Why do they have to be steel? - plastic covers are available in many sizes, and concrete slabs in many more.

Reply to
Phil L

Steel isn't essential, if plastic (or even concrete) is available in the size that I'm after and will fit my existing single seal frame then that's fine. Trouble is that I have yet to find any in the required size in those materials either.

Reply to
jamma-plusser

Surprisingly cheap local metalworkers. I had a 3' 2' SS splashback made for £30.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd say around the £20 mark with a cash sale and a drink etc....

Have you tried Burdens ? They do a 600 x 600 access

Sounds very reasonable.

Thanks, will take a look and see if they have one that's 620 x 620.

Reply to
jamma-plusser

How about treated plywood? But it would be slippery when wet.

Reply to
Matty F

Often have to replace frames too, as you can't find a perfect match. Even though pressed steel would do, I'd suggest getting cast iron ones. Much more solid to walk on, without going "poing-ping!" as you step on/off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel