Manhole covers for Septic Tank

The manhole cover for my septic tank needs replacing. Measured it as

510x655 then phoned a local builders merchant who told me they are "all 600x450 these days".

Is that true? Anyone know where I can get one the size I need? A source anywhere between Yeovil and Heathrow is probably accessible (or online).

Thanks.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

The local steel fabricators will probably make you one.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I'd begun to think I'd have to scour local scrap yards or haunt sites where old buildings are being demolished. Thanks for that, I'll make some enquiries during the week.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Don't be silly. Just buy a new one and set it in fresh concrete.

Insert a sheet of chipboard or ply; 600 x 700, under the present one. Use a line tied through the middle to hold it in place.

Break the old one out with a hammer and boulster chisel. Remove detritus and reset the new one and concrete all around it with a strongish mix.

The supplier will tell you the right ratio. You will get the lot delivered from a small builder's yard and it won't cost a lot.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Like what?

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Just don't fall in - without anyone videoing.

Reply to
Ian Stirling