How Much More Do You Have to Pay?

Surely we've been down this road with cars. The VW Beetle was expensive for the class of vehicle it was but it was built like a tank and literally sold in millions. People were prepared to pay more for the quality and reliability.

Like it or not the same holds true for the major German makes of car today. None cheap yet all sell in quantities. People are prepared to pay for a better product. Its not all about flash badges by a long chalk.

Bad news stories about Miele are fairly rare. After buying a Hoover washing machine that was practically rebuilt under guarantee in its first year, SWTSMBO insisted on Miele. and she was right.

Compare the innards of a Miele microwave or extractor fan with any of the white trash and you will see a tremendous difference.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

Paul Mc Cann.

Reply to
fred

It may hold for German cars made _today_ but that hasn't always been true.

information I have heard elsewhere.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

And insist that spares are available for a reasonable cost.

Reply to
Mark

Yes but a Miele may be more than twice the price of a cheaper machine but may not last twice as long.

My Bosch W/M is over 10 years old now and was less than 1/2 the price of a Miele. I have had to repair it a couple of times but it was only replacement of brushes and seals.

Reply to
Mark

Impressive. Our FF's 34 years old this year, and the washing machine and dryer are mid-80's, so they have a few years on them too. I'm in the US and it's only recently that basic, well-tested designs have started to become drowned out by modern bells-and-whistles models; there's still a healthy spares supply available for all the old kit.

Yes, modern stuff is more efficient - but not if it only runs for a fraction of the time before becoming uneconomical to repair and needing complete replacement. Heck, the stuff I have is so simple that even if spares don't exist, I can probably make many of the parts for them.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson