how much does it cost change back boiler to combi boiler

Hi,

I am thinking buying a house. But it has a back boiler. So can anyone tell the the con of back boilder. Like how much more does it cost to run, and how much it cost to change from back boilder to combi boiler.

Any rough figure is ok.

Thanks

zy

Reply to
zhangyong71

I have had quotes from £1800 - £3000 to change my back boiler into a combi.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Back boilers are about the most inefficient around. So changing to a condensing type will give more savings than most - probably about 30% off the actual bill, assuming like for like temperatures in the rest of the house. Trouble is replacing one needs much more in the way of pipework alterations, so may well cost more than the average.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my last house (3 bed mid terraced) the gas for conventional backboiler was about £200 a year. Had it replaced (non condensing) equivalent + nice fire front, for £2k and consumption dropped to about £180/year. Problem was a condensing setup was over £3k due to pipework and replastering etc required and also not intending to stay for ever in the house so would not recoup any savings.

Reply to
Ian_m

Could it be you use the gas fire to in the main to heat the living area?

Was the new boiler a back boiler too, then? If so you did well to save 10% on your bills.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The old boiler was installed in 1971 and certainly had "flow issues" with the heat exchanger, ie full of crud.

Reply to
Ian_m