hot works

Clive Page snipped-for-privacy@page2.eu wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I totally agree. Would the Fire Dept be consulted on a risk assessment?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No their not so the chief of the fire dept sez..

Reply to
tony sayer

I think the reality too often is people that truly don't give a toss. Add folk that have no clue what they're doing & people still drunk or stoned and no surprise things go wrong. I had to take a blowlamp off someone not too long ago. What he was doing with it was a disaster. It's hard to mandate care.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Make the people involved financially responsible and partial improvement would occur.

Reply to
tabbypurr

An opportunity for some nice affordable housing projects.

The picnic spot will still be there.

Reply to
Richard

They will likely have insurance.

Reply to
harry

Captain Obvious strikes again.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Marland snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.co.uk> wrote: [snip]

It was certainly expected even on our little 10.5 metre steel boat when there was welding being done. It saved the boat from a serious fire too as I was inside keeping watch while they were welding plates outside and caught a fire before it got too serious, was still a bit too exciting for my liking though. I got out sharpish and said there was a fire, there were three or four hefty lads with breathing apparatus on inside the boat very quickly!

Reply to
Chris Green

Interestingly about 10 other churches in France have been fire bombed in recent weeks, but somehow I'd imagine security on such a high profile site would have precluded that as the cause, more likely health and safety failings by the renovation crew. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The Cutty Sark don't forget that one. Of course the state owns and maintains churches in France so its the taxpayer who will pay. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Angel Grinder?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

:)

Reply to
Steve Walker

Bring back Guy Fawkes - would solve a few problems!!!

Reply to
Davidm

Does anyone know if they have metal scaffold planks in France as looking at the pictures this morning although the roof and wood and presumably the lead on same have all gone and the scaffold tubes are a bit sagged a lot, the planking seems intact?

Reply to
tony sayer

Dunno about Paris but last time I saw them putting scaffolding up the Elizabeth Tower ("Big Ben") they were using metal staging boards.

Reply to
Robin

Good Winky article here about the fire and consequences:

(much better than the dribs and drabs on the BBC site).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Why not start work now while the parliamentarian are still in it.

Reply to
DJC

Thank you. A very good read.

It looks like it may not be as bad as I feared - the stone vault is largely intact.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, I didn't realise it's a stone vault. I assumed that the ceiling would burn as well as the roof, leading to both collapsing and burning everything down below too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was recently in the loft of Norwich Catholic Cathedral (you can go up the tower, and that's the access route. The tower is the highest accessible point in Norwich; the views are wonderful)

The ceiling there is held up by timbers.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris