[SOLVED] Honeywell CM927 LCD screen fail - common? (2023 Update)

Why pay someone £15 to do something you could do yourself in 10 mins?

John Rumm

mine started to fail after about 2 years. it became worse and worse until the display was completely unreadable. The DIY fix described here worked well, but after a few months, they started failing again ... and again ...

Reply to
Paul

I thought this was a DIY newsgroup? Trivial to carry out the repair yourself too.

Fredxx

I had done the fix once about two years ago and it worked. Tried again and it didn’t work this time as it’s quite old. Maybe concentrate on being a little more positive. It was better than having to purchase a new one.

Reply to
Rachel

Apart from trolling, your post serves no purpose! Reusewhereyoucan replied to a 4 month old post, managed to find this thread useful, managed to figure out where the original post was and seems quite happy!? What's your point?

Reply to
Parksy

It is a 5 year old topic.

Your post shows you didn't read the link and haven't a clue how usenet works.

The link shows how Home Owners Club effective hijacks post on public news servers.

You don't come across as being very bright, not untypical of posters posting through www homeownershub com

Reply to
Fredxx

I think he was just highlighting that because of the way HOH works, we get lots of disembodied replies to ancient posts, and quite often its not very obvious to what they refer since the original thread will have long since expired in most people's usenet feeds. (uk.d-i-y in not a web forum, but a usenet group).

(Granted in this case it was fairly obvious from the message title alone since that particular stat failing with a dodgy display crops up as a FAQ)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have just done this repair. It works a treat, and requires no tools except for a flat head screwdriver to gently ease off the casing, and a hairdryer. I am SO glad I found this post. I was about to spend about £100 on a replacement.

Reply to
Andrew

Just tried it today and it worked. Easy to follow and I lampedusa the screen and left the hairdryer on fire 2 minutes... let it cool down and tested.... worth a go as takes 15 minutes

Reply to
Fattriker

When you follow up on Home owners club, remember to quote the message you are replying to, as the thread is probably old and we on Usenet cannot see the rest of the conversation as its long expired. If that web site had a proper compliant portal to the Usenet all this daftness would go away. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Solved our thermostat Thankyou

Reply to
Googleisyourfriend

Multiple failures with mine, I’ve taken it apart, heated and clamped it 3 times but the digits gradually fail again. Thinking of replacing the ribbon next time

Reply to
alice

Please follow the advice of opening up the unit and heat up the ribbon cable. This has worked for me, but generally lasts for about 12 months.

Reply to
chris

Thanks Michael, that did work. Had 3 goes at heating the display. Didn’t heat enough first 2 times. 3 minutes under hair drier worked in the end with strong finger/thumb pressure. Hope it lasts but if not, can do it all again, it’s not too difficult. Incidentally my unit has lasted 11 years without fault since new so not too bad. John

Reply to
John

Loads of fails. I have to take it apart every year or so and hold the LCD over a toaster to get it to re glue…

Reply to
Al

Amazing Phil, I just followed your instructions and all is now working again, thank you!

Reply to
Julia Groves

Also here for any unable to see the original post:

John Rumm

Did the same , just the screen and backlight with 6 little clamps in a very low (gas1) oven for 3-4 mins. Screen brown/ multicoloured on removal but left to cool with the clamps on it returned to grey and once reassembled all pixelsare back and working perfectly

Reply to
Mike

For full context, assume that anything coming from homeowners hub is probably at least 5 years old, or even a lot more.

Reply to
Davey

For some reason this post gets responses sent to my email address as well.

So I see this pop up now and then.

I've no objection to the thread popping up as it is perennially useful.

Just wish I didn't see the emails.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to