Anderson versus Hurd Windows -- Which Are Best ??

Anyone able to comment on which of these two brands make the best residential windows?

For a long time, I thought the reputation of Anderson could not be beat. But, several contractors (who will install either ones that I choose) have told me that although Anderson **was** the best, they have lost some quality and that Hurd makes a superior window.

Any comments and sharing of experience please.

Thanks !!

--James --

Reply to
James Nipper

Don't have experience with Hurd but I do with Andersen. Those contractors were being kind to Andersen.

RB

James Nipper wrote:

Reply to
RB

We bought a house from the early to mid 70s with Anderson windows. Now, I know they've probably lived their life expectancy, but I'm not impressed with them. A few of them look like they've never closed right, and some leak air between the sash and the frame like you wouldn't believe. (Note: I think this could be caused by bad installation, but if it were me, I'd look elsewhere, just an opinion, and not a particularly strong one.)

Reply to
The Gnerd

I have Andersen in my 6 year old home. They are ok. Much better than normal builder windows. I've never had high end windows before so I cannot say another brand is better. Installation is of major importance and we had opportunity to take down brick veneer down on some walls and windows were poorly installed by builder. I suspect that is common. Whatever you buy, read instructions and make sure installer follows them exactly.

choose) have

Reply to
Art Begun

Anderson is a great window you might want to check out Pella too.

Reply to
EvoDawg

James,

My house was built with Hurd windows and doors. After about three years some of the windows on a south gable-end wall began leaking. I caulked and painted... and caulked and painted... and caulked and painted for four years. Each round would stop the leakage for a couple of months only to start up again. By that time I had slimy mold growing out of the wall around the windows. Major repair of rot in the walls and re-work the windows fixed the problem for about six months. Three more years of caulk and paint. This summer dropped $11,300 on the problem and the leaks went away... and so did the Hurd windows.

David

Reply to
David Thomas

David, which windows did you install to replace the Hurds ??

Thanks !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

Did you discover the reason for the leaks?

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

James,

After looking around, finaly decided on Marvin aluminum clad wood windows. I'll admit the deciding factor had as much to do with matching colors on the exterior as insuring a weather seal. These are new installation windows (with a nailing flange which the Hurds lacked).

Reply to
David Thomas

Tom,

The majority of the original problem was due to the bottom awning sill plate on two four stacks on either side of a rock fireplace/chimney (awning on the bottom, two 4x6 picture windows with a custom trapezoid on top). These awning window sills had no overhanging lip so the installer apparently just nailed brick molding onto the sill. Maybe he caulked it maybe not, in any event the joint between the sill and molding failed allowing all the water coming off the windows to drain directly into the wall. In addition to this major leak, the other windows in the stack would occasionally (during a driving south rain) drip inside. In addition to the leaks, all the Heat Mirror glazing on

*all* of these windows failed causing fogging. (In addition to these we also had one east facing patio door and two south facing double hung glazings fail.)

Hurd covered the replacement of the failed glazing but wanted to charge labor for installing the replacements. I gave them the choice of waving the labor on the glass replacement (had facts of a lawsuit on other Hurd glazing failures) or paying for the rot repairs. They chose to wave the replacement labor.

As part of that major rework three years ago, I custom made one-piece bottom sills for the awning windows which did stop the major leakage into the wall. The other windows however continued to drip.

The Hurd windows came as two sub units, the awning and one picture as one unit and the other picture and custom trap as the other. I've always suspected the field mullion between the two subunits as the leaker but was never able to point to any one spot and say "there it is!". During the rework of three years back I had noticed small areas of rot (quarter size) in the window frames at all mullions so it appears they all leaked a little. Ripping them out this year showed more rot, even in the 'new' (three year old) wood surrounding the replacement glazing. (Did I mention these were all wood units?).

Not being able to definitively find the leaks is why we jerked the things out of the wall and went with another manufacturer. Basically we rebuilt the entire south gable wall, foundation to peak, roughly 20 foot wide and 30 foot high.

So far it hasn't dripped a drop but I'll keep my fingers crossed for a few more years.

We still have all the other orignal Hurd windows and doors. Of these, six double hungs are showing signs of age (the only ones not covered by an 8 foot wide wrap-around porch). I'm considering replacing them with new construction Marvins next year.

Reply to
David Thomas