Home Security Electric Fence

Hi people,
Following a near death experience at the hands of an illegal immigrant and his gang who suddenly tipped out of the back of a lorry just north of J9 of the M3 in Hampshire (clearly they're coming in via Southampton as well) I've decided that since the government doesn't give a f*ck about our personal security I'd better do something about it myself. The first thing that sprang to mind was to construct an electric fence. We used to knock these up for fun in the 1960s using old Post Office relays in a make/break configuration. It was dead simple, cheap and relatively non- lethal. But that was 50 years ago and times have moved on ('elf & safety etc). So how could a fence best be implemented using current technology? One of the main drawbacks of the old relay system was that it was very inefficient, being permanently 'on' whether there were any intruders or not. I'm now thinking perhaps it would be better to use MOSFETS and a 555 timer to chop the current supply to a large inductor say 20 times a second once an earth path has been detected on the fence's live wire. How best to detect this earth path, though? Bearing in mind it would have to work in rain and shine. And how best to limit the current to non-lethal levels? All constructive suggestions welcome, cheers.

I'm not convinced that an electric fence is the best way to do that.

Use one of the commercial electric fence systems, intended to control cattle and horses etc. Wont be legal around your house tho.

Just limit the current. Trivially easy to do.

On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 18:02:34 +0000 (UTC), Julian Barnes

Why not just buy a cattle fence from an agricultural suppliers such as Scats/Mole Valley . Branches in Romsey and Wickham.
G.Harman
Nah, he needs a moat, a drawbridge and some piranhas for the moat. I am remembering an Eric Sykes episode along the lines above, where he was told that all the hazards he put in the way of burglars and would be squatters were in themselves illegal. Cue rant about Englishman's home being his castle. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
On 02/08/15 19:02, Julian Barnes wrote:

Buy a farmers electric fence generator box - it's not very DIY but it will do the job and you will be assured that it will have been designed not to kill anything (and should form a decent defence if plod complains).
It also hurts like billy-o so it should do the job!
This of course is fine if the intruders are naked and not wearing gloves or footwear. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Watts" <tw snipped-for-privacy@dionic.net> wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 08:40:16 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

So you believe "footwear" prevents a person from earthing out? Interesting....
[OT]
As the chunnel is not handling it's original function well, and as, apparently, sea-side amusements and fair grounds are back in fashion and fully hipster approved:
Would it be wrong to suggest a giant game of whack-a-mole be set up at the tunnel mouth?

My initial thought was to repurpose Boris's water cannon that he's been told he can't use, and to load them with pig slurry. Lend them to the French.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 68th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 02/08/15 22:37, Huge wrote:

On the same note:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33751619
"The Swedish justice and migration minister has accused David Cameron of "playing politics" with the migrant crisis in Calais. Morgan Johansson said scenes in Calais had resulted from France and the UK not taking "responsibility" for accepting more asylum seekers."
People here know my politics - I have lots of friends and colleagues from many nations, all legally here and paying more into the system than some natives.
So in the light of that, lest there be no misunderstanding:
Christ. Fuck off Morgan. Who the hell do you think you are telling my country we are somehow wrong for refusing illegal aliens.
I have no problem with having applications for asylum, but it needs to be quick turnaround (few weeks), yay or nay, no appeals and applicant confined whilst the decision is made then a process to settle the successful and return the unsuccessful.
On Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 10:49:17 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

Many destroy their documents so they can't be returned. Apparently the loos at Gatwick just before passport control are often blocked with identification documents.
Jonathan
On 03/08/15 12:44, Jonathan wrote:

The sensible solution would be for every point of entry and exit to scan their passport and take some biometrics (finger prints, photo and retinal scan) and put an end to this nonsense.
This need only apply to passport holders from a particular list of countries.

Hmm. Then it could be done when they enter a country that has support for this procedure. That would include Italy and Greece. Then if they are refused asylum, or behave illegally (includes trying to cross a border illegally, as in getting on lorries etc in Calais) they can be sent back to wherever they were before before entering. Which would most likely be Libya.
So if they destroy their papers before getting on a boat to cross the Med, it doesn't make any difference.
--
"... you must remember that if you're trying to propagate a creed of
poverty, gentleness and tolerance, you need a very rich, powerful,
On 03/08/15 13:05, Tim Streater wrote:

2nd option:
An EU funded "Refugee Island" somewhere in the middle of the sea.
It might still be considered a better bet for some real refugees, but once word got around it should deter some of the piss taking economic migrants.
On 03/08/2015 13:45, Tim Watts wrote:

Indeed. Didn't someone suggest buying one of the Greek islands for this purpose? The proceeds of the sale would help Greece with its economic crisis - killing two birds with one stone!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Been done for a long time now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lampedusa
Just not viable, its nothing like big enough for all those illegals.

Nope, you'd never bet anything like even 0.001% of what they owe for it.

Fraid not.
On Monday, 3 August 2015 20:48:27 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Singapore copes with a population density of 7301 per km2. On that scale Lampedusa should be able to support 147,480 people rather than the 5000 currently there, or even the 48,000 arriving in Q1-Q3 2011.
Owain
On Monday, 3 August 2015 20:48:27 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Greece has nearly 6000 islands or so the guide told me.

Ah but it wouldn't have a crisis as immigration is good for the economy. :)

Even the whole of Greece wouldn't provide a viable dumping ground for all those illegal.

They already see hordes of illegals show up there, mostly from Turkey and places further to the east than that because its one obvious way into Europe.

Perhaps just perhaps a concerted effort by other counties to sort out the problems in their own so they might not find the UK that attractive.
Never happen tho;(...
--
Tony Sayer