Home printer recommendations please!

None. Sorry. I have had a series of Epson inkjets because my wife likes to have photos printed! The photo series have always suffered from expensive ink and regular jet cleaning.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think autocleaning in inkjets is a con. My (2006) Dell AIO *never* autocleans, and I only use it intermittently. There's still a supply of genuine Dell cartridges around, but the colour ones are a bit difficult to find that work properly. Currently colour prints are a bit streaky, but acceptable.

Reply to
Max Demian

I've had Epson in the past, and very good they have been, too. But they were the older ones so the inks have faded now on all the prints I did with them. And they clogged like buggers. I've heard the Canon ones are much better at not clogging.

The newer inks are supposed to be much more fade resistant, too.

Reply to
David Paste

FWIW, I'm in a similar situation to you and bought a reasonably compact HP colour laser from a local forum (Nextdoor) for £20, including a full set of generic toner. Been working fine for a couple of years.

Reply to
RJH

So long as you are not in a hurry Fuji crystal archive photo prints will outlast anything an inkjet can produce. Displays I did in 2006 are still going strong on the Fuji prints. Inkjet images as part of the display from the same period have now been replaced three times due to fading.

Reds and yellows fail first since absorbing energetic blue photons is a big hit. Eventually you end up with a pale ghost cyanotype image.

My Canon printer made a big thing about how light stable their dyes were back in the day. They were sort of right on their high end media - a wedding print I did lasted 10 years on a sunny windowledge indoors. But posters printed on ordinary paper and posted outdoors under plexiglass have visible fading after only a month.

Laser toner doesn't fade or run when water gets into the noticeboard.

Only pigment inks are even close to fade resistant. The ones that put a base coat clear UV layer on top being about the best. Compared to a colour laser none of the inkjet printers come close for light stability.

A good laser isn't quite photoreal but it is good enough for most practical purposes as you can always get proper photo prints elsewhere.

My Canon A3 colour inkjet printer survives OK on pretty much monthly usage without undue problems from the ink drying out.

Reply to
Martin Brown