Help needed to resolve a discussion

I was being hepful the morning by hanging out the washing I lefy yhe bag of wooden pegs in the sun as there would be more washing along shortly.
I was told by my wife thatI should not leave the unused pegs in the sun as they would be dried out and damaged (they are normally stored in a warm utiliy room)
My experience of wood is that this might apply if they are left out for a number of years continuouslt.
Any (polite) comments as I may have to show this thread to he4r.
Malcolm
https://www.avg.com
On 13/05/2019 15:52, Malcolm Race wrote:

Ask her where the covers for the pegs on the line are.
On 13/05/2019 15:52, Malcolm Race wrote:

Once wood has been seasoned, and lost most of its water content, it is then fairly stable and not really affected by UV exposure (although the wood may lose some colour in full sunlight).
It will still swell a little in response to higher humidity levels. So you can get some wood movement (probably about 10% maximum - but usually much less), and almost all of that is across the grain.
So if you assume the pegs are made from seasoned rather than "green" timber, you would not expect much change from temperature or humidity.
Obviously left out long enough they may rot.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 13/05/2019 15:52, Malcolm Race wrote:

Not a good idea to leave plastic pegs out, the UV light makes them brittle.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
On 13/05/2019 16:39, TMH wrote:

Very true - all of mine shattered...
--
Email does not work

For this very good reason I never hang washing out when sunny, but only when it is very cloudy, or at night :-)
#Paul
On 13/05/2019 15:52, Malcolm Race wrote:

Polite mode activated at your request.
It's perfectly normal for a bloke trying to help out and perform a household chore to be told by their other half that they are doing it wrong. And don't even attempt to correct them and say "incorrectly" not "wrong" unless you want to start an argument.
Is she perhaps hinting that she wants a tumble drier. You would of course not be able to fill it correctly or use the correct settings on it (in her view) but that is because you are a bloke.
Some men would just store the pegs where she wants you to store them even though she is incorrect.
To stop any future arguments I would just never bother hanging out the washing again.
Polite enough?
--
Adam

When you’ve mastered not hanging out the washing, you should move on to not loading the dishwasher. ;-)
https://theoatmeal.com/comics/dishwasher
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 13/05/2019 17:58, Tim+ wrote:

You would not believe how badly I use a vacuum cleaner:-)
--
Adam

On Monday, 13 May 2019 18:04:51 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

I'm very good with a vacuum cleaner.
I've even mastered holding the power drill in two hands with the cleaner tube under my elbow.
I'm proud to say that rubble never goes unvacuumed in this house for more than a couple of hours.
Owain
On 13/05/2019 20:14, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Surely, scoop up the rubble with a dustpan, and vacuum the dust ?
On Tuesday, 14 May 2019 15:52:33 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

It's actually easier to use the karcher as a picker-upper for the large lumps and drop them in a bucket, and let it take care of whatever fits up the hose itself.
Owain
On 13/05/2019 17:58, Tim+ wrote:

I'll raise you one Homer Simpson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhZ03E-ZPJE

--
Adam

On 13/05/2019 17:58, Tim+ wrote:

this container in the bedroom where you put dirty clothes. I've no idea how it works, but the clothes get cleaned and put back into drawers.
It broke down a while ago, and as luck would have it, SWMBO was away. I was just about ready to get someone in to look at it when SWMBO returned and fixed it. It's still a mystery to me.
Cheers
--
Clive

On Monday, 13 May 2019 17:58:22 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

on to not

Why do women put dishes in the partswasher?
It just makes the crankshaft case smell of garlic and salmon.
Owain

I was a good boy this morning, and hung the washing out on the line, using wooden pegs, plastic ones being devil spawn. Wife doesn't criticise in case I don't do it again, although does think I'm a bit OCD because I always hang the socks in pairs.
--
Graeme

On Monday, 13 May 2019 22:37:39 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

Why wouldn't you hang socks in pairs?
It's very sensible - makes sure there isn't an odd sock left in the machine to go mouldy.
Owain

Too much farting around and they don’t dry as quickly.

Lot quicker to just count them.

No, no, no. In pairs as in two matching socks side by side, not two socks sharing a peg.
Always hang socks by the toe, then, when dry, each pair can be tucked together at the open end before removing from the line, then they're ready for the sock drawer without any further faffing around, and, as Owain says, no hidden surprises still lurking in the w/machine.
--
Graeme

On 14/05/2019 06:34, Graeme wrote:

I only have matching socks. ie 10 idendical pairs.
--
Adam