Paint for newly skimmed walls - Dulux Supermatt?

We've had a room skimmed but want to paint it as soon as possible for M-I-L to return from a minor operation.

It would appear that there are special paints which can be used in this situation, e.g. Dulux Supermatt. Are these really necessary? ... and how soon can one actually paint using them?

Reply to
Chris Green

Screwfix do one which is considerably cheaper

Read the reviews on that page.

Dulux approx £5/litre Screwfix No-Nonsense appox £1.70/lire

Youtube

I've recently used the screwfix no-nonsense product to quickly paint a few recently skimmed wall and confirm that it covers well with two coats applied around 2 hours apart. Applied quickly with a roller.

Reply to
alan_m

Just skimmed? How thick? Room ventilated/heated?

Trying to establish how long the plaster may take to dry.

If you have the time to leave a few mm of skim to dry in heated/ventilated room, say 24 to 48 hours (plastered today paint on wednseday) probably not. I'd use a slightly diluted first coat so the "dry" plaster doesn't suck the moisture out of the paint too quickly, leaving it as film rather than adhered.

Read the instructions?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well it can stop the dustiness effect often found in places where plaster has been used, but other than that I'm a little out of touch with current paints. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It is just a thin skim to cover minor blemishes on a sound wall and some new plasterboard drylined walls. It's probably just a few mm.

It's mostly turning to its pale pink dry colour already we can easily wait until it's all pale pink.

If that's all the time a thin skim will need then we can easily wait that long, thanks.

:-)

Reply to
Chris Green