Years ago on TV they showed a ring which was used to keep plastic bags open when sweeping leaves etc. Do they exist?

--
Jim S

On Wednesday, 7 January 2015 21:34:45 UTC, Jim S wrote:

I have used - but don't know where it comes from - a sheet of plastic rolled into a cylinder which expands inside a bin-bag and stands upright
In the USA there is the 'leaf lasso' which turns a bin bag into a giant dustpan. Not showing on Amazon UK
Owain
On Wednesday, 7 January 2015 21:34:45 UTC, Jim S wrote:

Well, years ago at least ONE did!
On 07/01/2015 21:34, Jim S wrote:

Yes. But this is uk.d-i-y you can make one by bending a length of scrap solid core mains cable to fit inside the bag and then let go.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

with

Sorry I was posting from tablet while watching Midsomer Murders and wasn't concentrating.
--
Jim S

On 07/01/2015 22:28, Rod Speed wrote:

Looks good to me. At least my newsreader doesn't insist on top posting.

Mine doesn't either. I chose to do that that time because it made sense that time and puts a bomb under prats that don't like to see that.
On 07/01/2015 21:34, Jim S wrote:

Watch your local council operatives. They walk around with a bag with the mouth held open in one hand by a rigid device so that litter picked by a telescopic litter picker can easily drop litter into the bag.
One way of fining out about this would be to ask your local council but I suspect that these devices are readily available
Malcolm
On 07/01/2015 21:34, Jim S wrote:

Google litter picking HOOP or bin bag HOOP <£10 Arco sell them as do Amazon( expensive) Used them when litter picking for the NT.
On 07/01/2015 23:21, Robert wrote:

Screwfix £9.99
On 08/01/2015 07:04, stuart noble wrote:

An offcut of solid core mains cable formed to the right shape is a lot cheaper and almost as effective.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 08/01/2015 09:41, Martin Brown wrote:

The trouble with a "ring" is that it won't keep the bag upright, in the way that a suitable dimensioned bit of plastic sheet rolled into a cylinder will. I've been vaguely looking for suitable sheet, but an off the shelf product would be good (if the price is OK).
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 22:27:49 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

You have the right idea. I don't want a handle like the council litter pickers, I just want something to stop it collapsing in the wind at the instant I am about to tip in a shovelful of dry leaves. It happens every time! The original (from memory) was a hoop of flexible plastic which could be twisted until inside then it pinged back to become a circle inside the bag. PS I'm fresh out of solid core mains cable.
--
Jim S

On 08/01/2015 00:36, Jim S wrote:

You can get spiral pop up garden waste bags, which you could probably fit a binbag inside - holds it open and holds it upright. Not necessarily this one, but you can get them in £stretcher type shops
http://img.tradeindia.com/fp/2/553/851.jpg
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:34:00 +0000, Jim S wrote:
We have a pop up green bag (wire framed) which we got at a garden centre. It's stored folded with 2 toggles. Undo the toggles it pops up (about 1m high) and you can put your green bag inside it, with the edge rolled over to stop it collapsing.
Obsolete now, since we got wheelie bins :)

I invested 99p in a folds out to triangular garden bag from the remainder area of Aldi. Got it home and assembled it and thought this looks really good. Next time in Aldi, they still had loads left, so I bought another.
They are both still in the garage, as yet unused. Perhaps I'll have enough energy to sweep up in the spring.
--
Bill

They are available; try a garden centre. -very good if you're filling the bag with hedge clippings etc. as the plastic sheet stops the twigs poking through the bin bag.
--
Chris Holford

On 08/01/2015 22:55, Chris Holford wrote:

Thanks. I rather tend to avoid garden centres, although my wife and her girlfriends are very regular visitors. I will give her an action!
On 08/01/2015 22:55, Chris Holford wrote:

I've been keeping my eyes open, and haven't seen one.
Andy