Hanging a gate to open up a hill.

Oh why do people use this bloody site? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, or make the gate open down the hill not up it. I've heard of rising butts, but..... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are several tell-tale headers you could block on, with very little chance of collateral damage.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Probably because they've done an internet search and landed up there. Were you born with the url of uk.d-i-y already in your mind?

Reply to
Richard

Either swing the doors outwards (downhill), or turn them into the 'gull wing' variety where they swing upwards sideways.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I would not usually bother replying to a HOH post, but....

If the drive rises up from the gate closed position and the gate needs to open in and rise to clear the drive, then the pivot point of the lower hinge needs to be set back up the drive, in relation to the upper hinge. How much the pivot point needs to be set back, depends on how high the gate needs to rise to clear the drive, the length of the gate and the distance between the two hinge points. I simply added angle iron pieces to both gate post and gate to move both attachment hinge points where I needed them.

I worked my offset out by trial and error - hang it on the upper hinge, Then see how far you need to offset the lower hinge point, to get it to clear the drive. The gate will lean at an angle when open, but should be perfectly vertical when closed. My gates are all metal, as are the gate posts, so it was easy to weld in the angle pieces for the lower hinges.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I guess there is also a cross-slope, and they want the gate to follow the ground level. The sort of thing to do to keep dogs in (or rabbits out).

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

At our local allotments, the gate has a triangular hinged panel at the bottom to keep the local rabbit population away. When opening the gate tou simply pull a cord to raise it off the ground.

Reply to
charles

It seem to be a great idea but I can visualize. Is it possible to send a video. Regards

Ranjan

Reply to
Ranjan Sanyal

Before replying to a 15 year old post through a broken website read this first.

Fredxx

Wahid this question on here a couple of months ago, as I recall. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Brian Gaff (Sofa) submitted this idea :

I myself answered it in 2005, then it was resurrected yet again 5 years ago and 2 years ago - The never ending story :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.