Re: Hanging a gate to open up a hill.

It seem to be a great idea but I can visualize. Is it possible to send a video.

> Regards

Here is one way of doing it:

(new wiki page for anyone interested in improving etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

Very neat! So obvious, once it is pointed out. I don't think I would readily have come up with anything as elegant as the dogleg (and I am pretty good on 3D mechanisms).

Reply to
newshound

It's much the same as a parliament hinge in reality - but just fitting one rather than a pair. (works best with simple hinges that don't mind working at a bit of a twist).

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the following is correct:

The (or this) post is set vertical in the sense that a plumb line is vertical. The line through the hinges is normal to (perpendicular to? this phrasing may be ambiguous...) the ground around the gate.

I have seen rural wire fences where the post was just banged into the ground normal to the ground. Hang the gate on the uphill side and it becomes self-closing...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Some recently-built social housing flats near me seem to have windows that open like this, i.e when open the bit that is open is not at right angles to the frame.

Reply to
Andrew

Well yes, but as you imply you can't just use one of them together with an ordinary hinge (or at least, not for long)! You need to have "thin" plates and a bit of slop on the pins.

In the good old days, a colleague of mine was working on analysis of "3D" mechanical linkages that were tolerant of debris and differential thermal expansion for nuclear power plant. We were amused to find academics in Michigan who were working on the same thing, but for John Deere, because farm equipment has very much the same requirements to be tolerant of things like straw getting wrapped around pivots, while still being accurate enough to work properly.

Reply to
newshound

If you put light shadowing around the bottom of the post it stops it from looking as if it's floating above the grass. I don't know why.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright