Gate hanging: Expanding bolts?

Friends, It is a long time since I requested assistance but I have hung a 3 foot wooden gate on a brick wall using those 8mm plastic plugs into which you hammer a threaded screw like pin.

The plugs are now pulling out of the wall and I would like to replace them with expanding bolts or anchors but I keep getting confused over the lenth of bolt required.

The post is 3 inches (I prefer Imperial, my age, you know!), therefore what length of bolt do I need to purchase?

I am expecting to drill out the old holes to 10mm and there is clearance between the gate and the post to accomodate both nuts and a large washer to spread the load.

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

I'd use threaded masonry bolts

the post to a depth of 1.5" (large enough diameter for a socket & washer) & use the M8 x 100. All you do is drill an 8mm hole deep enough (you could re use the existing holes), drive in with socket.

No expansion to crack the bricks, very strong fix. Easier to pull a sailor off your sister etc......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

>> Counterbore the post to a depth of 1.5" (large enough diameter for a

+1

You do need to drill the right sized hole in the masonry, though. Half a millimetre too big and you won't get the strength. With the right sized hole you may need to push a bit to get them started.

Reply to
Newshound

I put them in using either an impact driver or the SDS with an adaptor to fit a socket. Hard work with a spanner :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

SDS in hammer or drill mode? My De Walt SDS say don't use chuck attachment in hammer mode.

I've got some M10 x 100mm to put into brick. I take it that M10 bolts need a 10mm hole in brick?

Reply to
DavidM

Dunno. For my stock of Multi-monti's I usually check the core diameter with a vernier caliper and use that to pick the drill (across the carbide insert. Can't read the size on the shank on most of my masonry drills any more.

Trying to select "by eye" I usually pick a drill too large. If you get the right drill, and clear the dust out properly afterwards, it's a "firm" but not a very difficult job with a socket set (usually use a brace tool or a ratchet handle). Get it right and you can remove them and then re-use the hole.

Reply to
Newshound

Drill mode.

The ones from Toolstation do, not so sure about the multi montis.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
DavidM

Friends, Thankyou for your replies and apologies for not answering sooner, I've not been well!

Regards Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg