Wall Hung Toilets

I am remodeling a very small bath room next to the pool, and therefore I want to do something that takes up as little space as possible. There will be a walk in shower, a sink and a toilet.

I am thinking of using a wall hung sink and a wall hung toilet, this way the foot print is minimize (even eliminated) and will look cleaner.

I think the wall hung toilet will work, I just need to frame a 4x6 behind the wall at the location where I intend to mount it and it should work.

I am worried about the wall hung toilet - I have rarely seen it in residential applications, I know part of the waste line has to be inside the wall, and since the wall is all exposed now I can do whatever I need to. I assume I need to also move the drain opening from the floor to directly under the wall, but what do I need to do to ensure it does not fall out after some time? If a 300 pound man sits on it and strain...will it fall out?

What is the strongest way to secure it? There seem to be a practical limit on how secure it really could be if the mounting surface is ceramic...it seems.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I have 2 of them in one of my houses and they have been there since about 1960. No problems. There is a cast iron "x-frame" bolted between studs in the wall that supports everything. It isn't going to fail. Incredibly strong. It would be more likely that a standard toilet would fall through the floor. How often does THAT happen?

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Huh. They still make residential wall-hung? I haven't seen one installed since the late 60s. It does make keeping floor clean easier, but IIRC, they did clog easier for some reason.

At work, they replaced a commercial wall-hung with a floor mounted (but still wall-draining) stainless steel bowl unit, to accomodate a 375+ dude that kept tearing out the wall anchors on the regular units. (expansion anchors into hollow clay wall brick, vintage 1930? or so.)

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I have no idea what you are on about. ZERO clogging problems. Why would there be any? It has all the same tank and fittings as any other toilet. They tank is just hidden inside the wall. The mechanics are essentially identical to any other toilet.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

We installed a Porcher brand wall hung toilet called Kimera about a year ago for our master bath. Perfect and clean installation. I highly recommend and no clogging issues so far.

Reply to
Hambone

ago for our master bath. =A0Perfect and clean installation. =A0I highly rec= ommend and

give ome thought to home resale, it might be a negative when your selling looking too industrial....

how much space will you be saving?

Reply to
hallerb

My parent's house built in 1967 used Crane's wall hung toilets, and the company I worked for had it's head office built in 1968 used the same toilets and added 3 more floors with Crane wall hung toilets. They did not look industrial. The office building had the usual flush levers and the house had a flush tank. They worked very well. Don't know if anyone makes a wall hung these days.

give ome thought to home resale, it might be a negative when your selling looking too industrial....

how much space will you be saving?

Reply to
EXT

Commercial wall-hungs, in general modern use in north america, do not have tanks- they depend on higher volume, higher water pressure lines in commercial buildings. A tank hidden in wall would be an upkeep nightmare. Residential wall-hungs, at least those I remember, were all the 'decorator' units with the tank and bowl cast as a single piece. I suspect that is why they ones I dealt with had a rep for easier clogging- smaller tank, tighter turns on ouput end, etc.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

So, is there any reasonably way to get that kind of thing in a home? I'd love to have a toilet at home that flushed like the ones at work. Those things seem to be able to take pretty much anything, and are almost instantly ready for the next flush.

Reply to
Tim Smith

questions I would ask are: how much condensation ends up in the wall from the tank? does there have to be an access panel somewhere for repairs?

any plumbers out there with these answers?

Reply to
3G

| I am worried about the wall hung toilet - I have rarely seen it in | residential applications,

Residential application for wall hung toilet

I remodeled this bathroom 4 yrs ago. and installed the "Porcher" wall mount toilet. my tip to you is: make sure the bolts that support the toilet are level before closing up the wall. the steel carriage fit into a 2x4 wall but the waste pipe needed a 2x6 wall. sound proof the wall it is in because it echoes everywhere in the wall when flushed.

the neatest part was the air switch we mounted on the side wall (no more reaching behind you to flush)

I know part of the waste line has to be inside the | wall, and since the wall is all exposed now I can do whatever I need to. I | assume I need to also move the drain opening from the floor to directly | under the wall, but what do I need to do to ensure it does not fall out | after some time? If a 300 pound man sits on it and strain...will it fall | out? | | What is the strongest way to secure it? There seem to be a practical limit | on how secure it really could be if the mounting surface is ceramic...it | seems. | | MC | |

Reply to
3G

They most probably use a Sloan valve rather than a tank.

dadiOH

I've been patiently waiting for that nightmare for almost 50 years. When should I expect it?

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Out of curiosity, what part of country are you in? Here in midwest flyover country, I have seen a tank-in-wall in a residential application, and I grew up in the residential/apartment construction business. I have seen, easily, over a thousand bathrooms put in, from rough framing through working the punch list before handing over the keys.

I'm glad that your 1960-vintage has held up for you, but I'd say you are probably the exception that proves the rule, and you must have decent quality water that that doesn't rot or gunk up the in-tank parts. In my experience, any house with kids, especially teenage females, probably WILL need the WC pulled apart at least once, due to how they treat them. And little kids should never have toys small enough to go down the hole....

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

te:

I have NEVER EVER seen one in a regular home around pittsburgh ever. I am 50 so they arent common here.

how much space will it save

Reply to
hallerb