Hardens caustic soda in a toilet bowl

Howdy,

I have had stains in the bottom of a toilet bowl in my property from pervious tenants and nothing seems to lift them..

In a foolish attempt to remove the stains I used caustic soda to attack the aforementioned stains.. this has now resulted in a hardened product in the bottom of the bowl.

2 questions, is this hardened substance dangerous and how do I go about removing it..

Cheers

Reply to
John

Age of property? (There is a good reason for asking).

Reply to
newshound

Brick acid and a cold chisel

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

cold chisel, then a new bog?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Flush the bog a few times to get rid of any caustic soda residue, then put in a slosh of brick acid. Wait for an hour. Repeat if need be.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I would be very liberal with the brick acid. Just not necessarily in an older property with traditional drains.

Reply to
newshound

The thing is that by the time its stopped fizzing there is no hydrochloric acid left - just calcium chloride. I did this with a bog once - the actual limescale was over an inch tick and the thing would barely flush.

Itr took half a dozen applications and breaking up te scale mechanically as well - I used a chisel, but no hammer :-)

Guess why when I rebuilt the house a water softener was considered essential

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It sounds to me like the glaze is crazed and you are suffering grottyness in the cracks. Not a lot you can do except change the pan, or live with it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa