HANGING DRIVEWAY GATES

I am looking for some help on how to hang large (6ft x 5ft each gate) gates which will extend from one firm brick structure to another. Horizontally at a height of around 4ft the brick structures have a 'lip' about 4inches high protruding about 3inches. My preferred option would be to bolt the hinges directly onto the brick structures and would need to allow the gates to hang far enough away to give clearance for these 'lips'. Do such fixtures exist that would allow this, also are there any that are adjustable to get a good fit for the gates. A diagram may help explain this:

Wall Gate | | | | | | \ | \ 'Lip' | _| | | | | |

Reply to
Barnsey

HANGING DRIVEWAY GATES

Wow, that's loud . . .

Reply to
fred

Cant' you cut away the lip (angle grinder etc.) to make way for the vertical mount and then attach as normal. That is, assuming mounting vertical + hinge is over 4 inches such that the gate would still open fully. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

3" is an awful lot from the mechanical point of view and I think it would look messy with that huge gap between most of the wall and the gate. I'd go for the cut back the lip where it fouls the gate approach.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd fix a bit of 4x4 down the wall and hang the gates from that.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That would be my next option, depends a bit on what the gates are. Solid timber I'd go for my first method, avoids the huge gap people can look through. With inward opening gates the lip would just end against the face of the gate, inside you may have to remove a fair but but done neatly or even take the lip bricks out an replace flush.

With wrought iron metal gates the 4x4 down the wall would IMHO look neater.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice