Greenhouse Cropped Bolts Source

I had really struggled to find some long (three quarter inch) cropped bolts.

Found at Two Wests and Elliott

- also a good range of other garden stuff

Excellent postal service.

(I'm nothing to do with them other than as a customer)

Reply to
judith

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Quote: "I had really struggled to find some long (three quarter inch) cropped bolts".

Excuse this, because I'm not trying to be obtuse! Or even funny!

Three quarter inch bolts are pretty short; eh?.

But the interaction of the two words 'Greenhouse' and 'cropped' have me confused!

With visions of bolts being 'cropped' (like green house peas/tomatoes) before they are grown to full size, in mind; please what is a 'cropped' bolt?

Presumably of a certain short size/length etc. But if so bolts can usually be shortened fairly quickly by cutting off with a hack saw or grinder? If there is concern about galvanised ones rusting where cut off some paint after installation will often help. Wouldn't take long to do a couple of dozen?

BTW when shortening a bolt/screw we usually put on a nut and screw it off after the cutting to help clean out the cut-off threads. Seems easier that trying to put a fresh nut onto the newly cut-off and often rough edged threads.

Just curious about 'cropped' bolts??????????????????? Thanks.

Reply to
terry

===============================

Cicero

|!I had really struggled to find some long (three quarter inch) cropped |!bolts.

When I was an apprentice years ago I *made* a tool to do this, unfortunately metrication has made them useless. Must make a metric one.

Drill and tap a hole in a 1/4 inch thick bit if mild steel about 1 inch wide. Saw through centre of the hole, lengthwise in mild steel. Put long bolt in tapped hole. Put tool in vice squeezing shut saw cut. Hacksaw bolt to length as required.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Gutenberg

Free to any

Reply to
robgraham

Gutenberg

Free to any

Terry clearly isn't a gardener with greenhouse as he would have recognised what Judith is talking about. These are Aluminium bolts which can fit into a slot in the Aluminium extrusion of the G/H frame and lock in place when turned through 90 degrees and the nut tightened.

Whereas Judith's source may be a good price I've always found them available at the bigger B &Q and good garden centres.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

On Sun, 06 May 2007 09:01:49 GMT, Cicero mused:

Now cropped head bolts would have made much more sense. Cropped bolts left me a little lost.

Reply to
Lurch

I made a set of those in ISO metric sizes m6, m8, m10, and M12. Of course the next one I needed to cut in a hurry was M7 :-((

But of course in this case, cropped refers to the head of the bolt, not the shank.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

A cropped bolt is a particular type of bolt used in green-houses. The head has been "cropped" so that you can insert it into the greenhouse slotted frame. Normally they are half-inch - so in this context three quarters are called "long".

Reply to
judith

Yes, and they need to be aluminium. Steel ones would rust in the moist atmosphere of a greenhouse.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's the heads which are "cropped" so as to fit into slots and only turn a few degrees before locking up. A nut on the bolt can then tightened.

If the bolts had been too long it would not have mattered so no jig required and anyway, why not hold the bolt thread to be cut off in the vice?

The electrochemical potential difference between aluminium and most other metals is such that the aluminium would corrode hence ally bolts are used.

I've often filed the heads of ally bolts to fit the slots.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

'ere ya go..............

half way down the page............

ELNB 10 22mm long cropped ally nuts & bolts......£2.45

:)

Reply to
BoyPete

Have you tried Kays Discount Garden Supplies'

good service though their catalogue, on line and printed take some getting used to. I use then quite a lot as their prices are often better than some of the wholesale firms David Hill Abacus Nurseries.

Reply to
Dave Hill

Was that Whitworth or BSF? ;0)

Reply to
Rog

Loved to work in BA sizes :-))

Then went onto Metric before I went into Marine Electrical Design :-)) Management :-)) and off my tools :-))

Mike

Reply to
'Mike'

Did you try to contact him on one of his invalid e-mail addresses?

Reply to
Martin

Thanks to Judith and Mary for answering my basic question 'What is a cropped bolt'! Never heard the term before. So it's an Aluminum (oops, sorry that's Aluminium!) bolt used to attach items to greenhouse framing. But by such information one can grow and propagate. Cheers from Canada. Terry.

Reply to
terry