Grate spelling mistakes of our time

than " instead of "different from" or "different to"

umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a childs spelling mistake.

... and they spell paedophile like someone with a foot fetish.

Reply to
Pete Shew

I wouldn't know what to listen for until you tell me what you're talking about. With a real example rather than a made up, "more or less", and therefore worthless one. In your example it's obvious that the force as a whole is not investigating, so the error is one of fact rather than grammar.

Collective plurals are complicated. You have to be precise when talking about them.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Mike Barnes writes

If you read the police reports on the local force website you will occasionally come across some very obscure grammar.

English grammar was a bit of a mystery to me and they kicked me off the Latin course after one year but wasn't there something called *past pluperfect*? Perhaps it is that:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Pluperfect but not past pluperfect.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Oliver's army is here to stay / Oliver's army are on their way"

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That explains a sign on the back of a driving school car I saw recently "Beware Sudden Breaking" - well it was a Fiat.

Reply to
bert

well look at who wrote it....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And yet, the denizens of BBC and NHS canteens respectively are certainly no strangers to a bit of c*ck, so quite why some busybodies decided to get all prudish, I don't know.

Best small ad I've seen was obviously phoned in and possibly voice recognised for print. "Cottage on 1/2 acre... blah... Tripe fishing stream."

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Couple of years ago I fell foul of some money-laundering regulation because I'd spent too much on a particular service, using a single payment method. The company involved informed me there was a rolling limit of ?2K. Fine, I thought, if it let it lie for a bit, it will re-instate, it's a rolling limit. No, that wasn't the case at all, it was an absolute limit and the illiterate wanker who'd composed the standard letter that all customers got who fell foul of this, simply didn't know any better. I eventually informed them of my opinion of fools who shouldn't be trusted to be in charge of a litter-picking squad being allowed to compose letters to customers. Needless to say, I didn't deal with the wankers again - and that was my choice.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Wee Wood of Dunne, butt thinks if improofed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

"Lady with large French Chest, 46""

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You keep it to yourself, dearie.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oh I understand now.

Initially I thought that the PP was making a joke that the Hampshire police force were investigating some misuse of the collective plural from a previous post (that had got snipped)

:-(

tim

Reply to
tim.....

It is funny how I found this sit I will tell you how ...

I was in the car getting a case for my tablet , that I am using and I googe led silly spelling mastakes and I found this great opportunity for you to win ! Not a thin lol... okay then I look at this site and yer.? ??

Reply to
emilyelizabethsinclair

A spammer with a sense of humour, surely not! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff