Grate spelling mistakes of our time

No, because the plural of person is not peoples.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Statuary rites, shurely?

Reply to
polygonum

They even spell it aluminum

The one I enjoy is 'burglarize'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a childs spelling mistake.

Its a public sector job that consists of polishing your fingernails..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't there a Usenet law about this? :-/

Reply to
John Williamson

By Our Lady?

It's insure/ensure that get me. They spell them both with an I, as far as I can tell. I think there's a difference between ensuring my car works, and insuring it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

The Shermans don't do irony.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Actually, an offer could be 'complimentary' or 'complementary'...both make sense.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Exactly. But, to quote Harry Enfield, "It's peeps' ability..." would be OK.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or writes, as in copywrite.

Others:

break - brake were - where

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then, of course, there's "envision" instead of "envisage"...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

a) They apply ugglification to it and so use a z rather than an s.

b) They turn my house into a burglar.

I suppose we should be grateful they don't spell it 'burgular'.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No: statutory is correct. Satuary is where there are a lot of statues..

as in last rights :-)

Wierd- weird

The one that seems to get every one is the collective plural.

"The Hampshire police force are investigating...."

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, envisioning is envisaging with peruvian marching powder.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Burghular

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The death of people rather than the deaths. (Is that a collective singular?)

Reply to
polygonum

Whoosh.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Saying "bought" for "brought" is now so common that it's unusual to hear "brought"!

Reply to
Bob Martin

I heard that the Americans agreed to spell Aluminium correctly if we would change our spelling of Sulphur. It's probably an urban myth though.

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Mark