Grate spelling mistakes of our time

They didn't keep their side of the bargain. :-)

However, the IUPAC adopted the spelling sulfur in 1990, as did the Royal Society of Chemistry Nomenclature Committee in 1992. The Qualifications and Curriculum Authority for England and Wales recommended its use in

2000, and it now appears in GCSE exams. The Oxford Dictionaries note that "In chemistry... the -f- spelling is now the standard form in all related words in the field in both British and US contexts."

it appears to be officially effin sulfur.

Reply to
polygonum

My 6 yr old understands the difference.

Reply to
Tim Watts

As opposed to ephin sulphur!

Reply to
Bob Eager

At the top of the picture "100% (1/1) of people recommend this"

So it's not a widely known item, then. :-)

Reply to
John Williamson

But you've used an American grammatical formulation to express that. "... if we would change ..." instead of "... if we were to change ...".

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've been noticing the opposite - people saying "brought" for "bought"!

Reply to
S Viemeister

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Same for datum and data.

"The data is invalid"

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

TBH 'data' has the generalised meaning of *a collection* of 'datums'(:-)), and might be said to have become a singular thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

what about assurance and insurance

Reply to
whisky-dave

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

True. I think the use of 'data' has evolved to the point where it's acceptable usage for both the singular and plural.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

And another in the 13A/3A plug fuse war currently raging in another thread, from the Humax forum referred to:

"As others have said, the plug fuse is only for protection against the mains lead been damaged"

aaagh.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

another one which I see from time to time on Freecycle is a "chest of draws"

Reply to
charles

The spieling on threecycle is dredfull. I dispare ;-)

Reply to
Mark

charles spake thus:

Or even "Chester Draws"

Reply to
Scion

The Natural Philosopher :

Did you make that example up? It seems somewhat unlikely, and IMO not typical of the collective plural. I've a suspicion you don't quite understand it.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

That's the one where you show up and get a pair of norks that someone has doodled on.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

a police force is...

some police forces are..

Not much to undrerstand really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite right. But you are often meant to interpret what is written as they were meaning you to - rather than how it actually is.

"[Members/constables/officers of] the Hampshire police force are investigating...."

Sometimes expressing things in full is tedious and unnecessary as it is so obvious - but in this case I am with you. It is wrong.

Reply to
polygonum

You *did* make that example up, didn't you? Then you made two more up. I'm interested only in real examples. They shouldn't be difficult to come by.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes and no. I heard some bird on sky news saying more or less that and its not the first time either.

Then you made two more up.

Just spend a few hours listening to any rolling news channel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher