Grants (or equivalent) for loft insulation for elderly

My Mum is getting on a bit (90 next week), and lives on her own (she's not in receipt of any benefits apart from pension, if that's a criteria e.g. Warmfront has eligibility criteria). I've been checking the insulation in her loft, and it hasn't been done for donkeys years and could do with replacing (never mind topping up to current heights) and the mice have done a good job in parts too, helping to let the heat out. Where's a good place to start looking for grants or subsidised insulation? We're probably looking for just loft insulation as starters, wall insulation not applicable at this point. Google brings up loads of hits, some of them looking like they want to look official e.g. government sites but appearing distinctly un-government like on closer inspection. TIA Allan

Reply to
Allan

Try your local council for advice. ISTR there is something now, CERT, that is free for the over 70's. A couple of neighbours had it done last year included loft insulation and cavity wall and ISTR was free to them.

I attach a snippet of the Yorkshire scheme description adjusted to avoid advertising the companies involved in doing it:

" We are trying to bring about better awareness of free loft and cavity wall insulation which is available to people over 70, through the government?s Carbon Emissions Reduction Target (CERT) scheme - but there are still many people who are unaware that they are eligible. Hopefully by advertising our free, impartial service through your communication channels, less people will miss out on the chance for free insulation and help with heating their homes. We are owned by York and North Yorkshire local authorities, with nearly twenty years experience "

It sounded too good to be true but it appears to be genuine. Link to DECC confirms there are such deals under CERT

are various sharks circling around this area too.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Try asking her electricity and/or gas provider. I've had loads of letters and leaflets from Eon abut insulation offers and such like. Here, for example:

pcb1962

We're both under 70, and we are having our loft insulated for free next week, courtesy of the local gas and electric suppliers. And we have oil-fired heating. This is in East Anglia.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Allan writes

The original Warm Front leaflets had the headline -Not means tested. the small print said - provided you are receiving one of these benefits

- all of which were, yes, means tested! Not sure but there may be an age related qualification. Has your mother ever checked if she is entitled to any benefits? Don't rely on the lying bastards from DWP. Go to local Age UK? Age Concern or CAB. Also good for grant advice Good place to start looking on line for grant info is either directgov or the energy supplier websites. They are generally reasonably honest. Beware the snake oil salesmen.

BTW you mother is entitled to a Blue Badge without assessment at 90 - and she doesn't need to drive or even own a car. And tell her from me I don't want to hear any of this "I don't want charity" crap.

Reply to
hugh

EDF

the Manchester area there is a 'toasty' scheme to encourage people.

Reply to
mogga

>> in the Manchester area there is a 'toasty' scheme to encourage people. I just got mine for free cavity wall and loft ins. It is with the Mark group, also got another free leaflet with the local council. Check around you should find a free one.

Reply to
ss