Longevity of wet room floors.

Debating if we should have a vinyl formed floor to the wetroom, or a waterproof tray with tiles on top.

Builder today suggested that vinyl is probably good for 10 years, tiles for at least 20.

Any informed views on this :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

dunno. I've had slate and tiles down for 10 years so far.

But that is over a screed.

Not sure about upstairs over timber.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, it is downstairs over timber - the only difference being that you don't notice when it is leaking :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

well then I would say, off the top of my head, that it really depends on how RIGID that timber is.

I would say tiles are best but ONLY if the floor wont crack them or otherwise bugger up their adhesion and the grout.

It may be worth laying down poly sheet over any wood and up the walls as well - and gluing it there and then somehow tile over that in case they do crack up.

in any case a tip I developed when tiling is to seal borozonatal surfases to walls with large fillets of silicone and then COVER that with the lowest courses of the vertical tiles..that means there is a seal even if the wall to floor grout cracks a bit.

Tiles over wood is always dodgy - I must redo a bit of bathroom here where I made a narrow bathside shelf out of a piece of stud and tiled over - its swelled and cracked them off cos SWMBO never wiped it after showering..

I think I'll lay a course of bricks or make it up with plastyer or render next time :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tiles ought to have something underneath them - there are membrane or tanking products available.

Reply to
Clive George

Respectfully point to the phrase above "waterproof tray with tiles on top"

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Yep. Don't bother. Wet rooms are crap.

Reply to
Huge

well actually the one thing you can say about our wetroom is that it is where the cats crap and when they 'miss' their trays its a bloody sight easier to clean the crap up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to