Loft Insulation

Loft is boarded. As the loft is boarded I assume this in itself gives some degree of insulation. Would taking boards up and laying extra insulation make a significant difference? Or could extra insulation just be laid on top of the boarding as this would be the easiest option?

Reply to
Chris Fern

yes. How significant depends on what's there already and whether or not the house has insulated walls.

Or could extra insulation just

that's another option.

If you joist out the boarding you can lay insulation and then add more boards on top of that...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When snow starts thawing you can tell which houses have the most insulation. Given the price of Rockwool, and how easy it is to lay, it really is a no brainer- under the boarding, over it, or both

Reply to
stuart noble

On Monday 28 January 2013 13:15 Chris Fern wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If you canm afford it you could lay celotex on top of the boards. You can pretty much walk on that, though sheeting over with 12mm ply (or even hardboard) would be advisable. Big advantage is you will not bury the wires in insulation and 50mm celotex is roughly equivalent to 100mm wool.

And no need ot fix it if laying like that - so access remains possible by lifting a sheet out.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Mine is part-boarded. We have the un-boarded part insulated with about

12" of conventional fibreglass wool (or whatever it's made of these days), which I pushed up to, and just under, the boarding. I then laid 90mm PIR (Kingspan?) on top of the boards.

The PIR is very rigid and has a very strong aluminium skin: it will take the weight of anything I have stored up there, and it will take my weight *easily* (as long as I'm wearing soft-ish shoes, like trainers).

The PIR solution was MUCH ( I almost said "infinitely") easier than insulating under the boards.

John

Reply to
Another John

In mine which is only part boarded, the people from British thingy just put it on the top of the boards and old lagging and it seems to be fine. The only problem is they could not do the hatch door as its hinged down and a bit draughty. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or a heater in the loft:-)?

Reply to
ARW

No just powerful lights. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You may need to sort out the ventilation after doing so.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's not that kind of area :)

Reply to
stuart noble

Laying on top has the same effect if there is no airgap at the ends, and the outer ends are insulated under the boards. Otherwise you get better result insulating under board.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Gone way down now, with LED growlamps.