Loft Insulation and boards

Our loft has been "loose laid" with various old doors, wardrobes, etc as loft boards.

I now want to top up the loft insulation with an extra 200mm - I wondering if I should remove the boards or just lay the new insulation directly over the boards - the loft is almost fully covered with these boards.

What do people think ?

Reply to
Jason

do you want to use the loft for storage?

Reply to
Vass

in some places, yes

Reply to
Jason

If you place the new insulation on top of the boards and then store anything on top of it. It will squash the insulation and render it essentially useless. In the areas where you want to retain storage, it would be better to fasten new joists across the existing ones, place insulation between and then put boards on the top.

-- Nige Danton

Reply to
Nige Danton

"Nige Danton" wrote

If you place the new insulation on top of the boards and then store anything on top of it. It will squash the insulation and render it essentially useless. In the areas where you want to retain storage, it would be better to fasten new joists across the existing ones, place insulation between and then put boards on the top.

-- Nige Danton

Alternatively, decide which areas you want to board - put standard insulation between the joists - put proprietory dense board-type insulation across the joists (this is thermally far more effective than standard fibre stuff) - lay boards on top of this and use long screws to secure to existing joists. Use standard fibre stuff in non-boarded areas. Consider using batons and boards to create elvated storage for lighter stuff (Xmas decorations etc). This gives more storage but allows standard insulation to be installed beneath.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

That's well worth doing. More storage space and it helps to make it much more organised than simply loads of stuff spread out on the floor.

-- Nige Danton

Reply to
Nige Danton