Loft insulation

With snow resting on many roofs across the country, now is an opportunity to compare your loft insulation with all your neighbours' loft insulation. Comparing similar elevations, there's quite a variation in the snow left on different houses down the road here. I topped my insulation up by 4" some weeks back, and it shows (although it might be that it would have done beforehand too). One or two houses look like they probably have no insulation at all.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Interesting you should say that Andrew. I had mould on the edge of the ceiling in an upstairs bedroom last winter. I had the loft done with a grant a couple of years ago up to 200mm. I have since gone around boarding central areas and had a look under the top layer of insulation.

I found they had left quite big swathes with none or patchy insulation over the ceiling and gaps down the edges which they couldn't be bothered to fill in. The part which is the edge over the bedroom ceiling had none at all which explains the mould! I have now fixed this and will be buying some more to top up. It just goes to show even loft insulation can be bodged.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:4963b712$0$514 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.aaisp.net.uk:

This has puzzled me for a number of winters - are the houses with less snow on the roof more poorly insulated, or heated to a greater degree?

Reply to
Mike the unimaginative

Wasn't Warm Front was it?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
John Rumm

There's a clear patch on my roof. A little thought, and I realised it's just over the service stack where all the pipes go up and down. bet there's no top on it...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I read that a cannabis farm in someone's loft was recenbtly detected by police noticing that there was no snow on the roof.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

We have a little section above the ground floor where there's no first floor above, and it looks like no insulation was ever put into that :( I can see why, too, because there's no obvious access - certainly not to lay insulation, and using the blown-in stuff would still need a hole either in the ground-floor ceiling, through a first-floor wall, or via the soffits or roof itself... I'm not quite sure how to tackle that one!

Reply to
Jules

then again there was a case they raided someone's house, wrecking the front door in the process, only to find that the "cannabis farm" was in fact just a loft mounted boiler!

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Wouldn't they need a bit more that "The snow had melted, your honour" to get a search warrent off the court?

Hope (s)he sued them!

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

It does not say...

John Rumm

I recently used my IR thermometer to check the temperatures of wall and ceilings. This revealed defects in both loft and wall insulation. I've since upgraded the loft insulation, and discovered the cold walls upstairs (About the top 400mm) ere due to the loft insulation (UF installed 30 years ago -- so out of warranty) ending before the top of the wall. I propose to remedy this with wall batts when I replace the soffits at some time in the future.

Reply to
<me9