Granite for paving a patio area

We've been looking at various options for a new patio area, limestone, sandstone, slate and now granite. Yes, it's expensive but it does look nice. However, SWMBO is worried about whether it will stain. What happens to it when you drop butter, curry, red wine etc on it? Does it need to be sealed? Can it, and does it need to be, cleaned? My thoughts are that it shouldn't be porous like limestone and sandstone but even granite will have a surface that can retain grease etc. Many thanks for your thoughts / experience.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Granite is as you say, not porous and pretty impermeable. There's a question in my mind as to what is described as 'granite'. AIUI almost any stone kitchen worktop is described as 'granite' regardless of it's true geological category. Granite for patios may suffer the same nomenclature imprecision. Not that it matters a lot.

Remember also that over time, any patio paving will get a patina of algae or moss, and dirt etc. that will change its appearance from the pristine attractive surface that it had in the brochure/showroom and when first laid. Without regular and frequent cleaning, all external surfaces of that general nature start to look the same.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Many thanks, Chris.

Reply to