Granite worktops

"The Granite Man" that fitted ours suggested Furniture polish every 4 weeks or so. Well, that got me thinking....

Why not use a megga shine "polymer" or whatever it's called Car polish? Super duper "diamond" protective finish to keep fluid and stains out of our lovelly investment?

any reason not to?

I feel it would be easier to get a good protective coating on than mr.sheen....

Think I just thought of the answer.... car polish seems to come in strong colours which would get stuck in the dips hollows of the granite.

Anyone got any alternative solutions?

TIA Pete

Reply to
PeTe33

And you use this for food prep?

Reply to
TonyK

Nah. All our food goes out the fridge into the freezer.

The most food prep we do is cut the chunkiest bits of the broccoli stalks off, which gets done on chopping board, along with cleaning out the dogs anal glands.

:¬))

Reply to
PeTe33

This is the right gear for granite:

Peter Taylor

ballcocks. It's late, I mean fridge/freezer -> microwave.

Reply to
PeTe33

And it's Granite FFS! not Marble.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Peter. Just ordered me up some pots of stuff. Cheers Pete

Reply to
PeTe33

Still permeable enough to stain.

Reply to
PeTe33

We use a product called "Rainstop" every 6 months (apparently, we have only had the granite for a few months)

- this does exactly that :-)

No idea where to get it, we got a tin with the granite! (I can ask if you can't find it)

"KR33, Imperston and Rainstop are water repellent, fast drying and non-yellow sealers used for the application to polished natural stones in order to assist in the protection of those surfaces from surfaces and staining. KR33, Imperston and Rainstop do not mark or change the appearance of the surface of the material being treated. Directions For Use: . Surfaces to be sealed must be thoroughly cleaned and dry and free from grease, oil, paint, acid, efflorescence and traces of grout. . Any stains and soiling on the tiles must be removed prior to sealing using a suitable detergent . Do not seal hot surfaces. All surfaces must be cool. . KR33, Imperston or Rainstop is applied neatly, using a clean cloth. Coat the entire surface to be treated and allow to dry. Apply a second coat after mother 15 minutes. On very porous surfaces, up to 4 coats may be required to provide adequate protection from soiling and staining. . Allow 24 hours for the product to fully cure before allowing full use of the treated area. . Recoat surface every 6 months. . As these products are used under conditions beyond our control, the seller will not be responsible for results obtained"

Reply to
Sparks

Cool. I'll see how I get on with the other stuff.

I often wonder whether anyone uses "rainstop" or "rain-x" type products within showers etc to reduce watermarks and stuff.

6 monthly applicaton would seem better than weekly cleaning.

:¬)

Cheers Pete

Reply to
PeTe33