To (re)seal or not to (re)seal granite counter tops?

I have a dark granite and it doesnt stain with coffee, I was told if I left red wine on it all night it could stain. Light colors will stain easier. Id say if you have had no problems and dont use products that can stain you have little to worry about, but buying a " kit" seems like overkill, it is sold to make them money. If you want to seal it for saftey just buy the sealer.

Reply to
m Ransley

veggie oil only.

Reply to
Fogbank

Reply to
nospambob

I have followed this debate and finally called the company that sold us the granite. They said that it was sealed when they fabricated it and nothing else needs to be done to it. Tom

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

I have heard and googled conflicting advice over whether or not to reapply sealant to a granite kitchen countertop. Our countertop was presumably sealed upon installation 4 years ago but nothing has been done since.

So, what do the Usenet experts here recommend for upkeep of a granite countertop?

Also, Home Depot for example sells a combo package with cleaner, disinfectant, sealant, and polish. Are any of these "potions" worth applying?

Thanks?

Reply to
blueman

Oil is the biggest enemy of granite. Seal once a year with a silicone based grout sealer.

Reply to
Robatoy

Seal once a year with silicon based grout sealant.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
G Henslee

it depends upon the specific granite used. if you have a scrap of it, leave a drop of lemon juice, a drop of oil, and a drop of red wine on it for a while. if you have a mark on them from any of these liquids, then seal it.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Da! What Charles said.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Tung oil is used to 'finish' some stone products. That 'seals' it as well. When sealing a granite countertop, however, the idea is not to introduce a 'finish', strictly a barrier for liquids etc. The stuff they use is from the same family as grout sealers. You wouldn't use tung oil for that job. Silicone/teflon based highly capillary sealants are used.

I vividly recall a recent event when a Cambria Black granite countertop was installed and the plumber put a wad of putty on the counter. When he removed the putty, it had left a grease stain in the granite which could NOT be removed. The stain was still there 3 weeks after when the insurance company showed up. That was a 'sealed' countertop.

The thing that gets me is why is it so difficult to seal a granite top? The stuff flows on and looks like water, get it all wet, and wipe dry...done..what's the big deal? Once every couple of years will do.

The big 'seal is done forever' argument has been created by the granite boys to counter (pun not intended) the solid surface guys who know their products like Staron, Corian etc won't need sealing. When it comes to stain resistance... nothing beats an acrylic solid surface counter...well...there's stainless steel if you can live with the noise, dents and scratches....

0¿0 ?

Rob

Robatoy

You have to seal it.. For more info just go to

The reason for the conflicting stories is because the granite companies dont want you to know...

Hope the site helps..

Melissa Seal & Shine, LLC Granite Maintenance Service & Care Products

Reply to
sealandshine