Glue PVC(?) to uPVC

Hi.

I need to attach some curtains to uPVC windows.

The window frames are new uPVC

The rails are extendable aluminium rods with a "Hook and socket" arrangment at the end. The "hook" is on the end of the extendable rail and the "socket or eye" has to be fixed to the window frame.

The rails are carrying net curtains with light weights at the end (the intended use of the rails).

The rail was supplied with self-adhesive foam pads. However, these are not strong enough to hold the rail to the uPVC frame.

I have tried various glues (Bostick and Copydex) and other pads - such as self-adhesive Velcro - but eventually the "socket" "peels off" the uPVC frame and the whole setup falls to the floor in an untidy heap.

I tried sand-papering the surface of the "socket" (Surface 1.5cm by

2.5cm) to try to get a key for the various glues to adhere to - but did not improve the situation. The socket becomes detached from the window frame in minutes or hours.

Anyone succeeded in fixing these rails to a uPVC frame and can pass on the suggestion?

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive Long,UK

Why not use small selftapping screws?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Use a super glue with accelerator,sometimes marketed as joiners mate or mitre maker,sticks pvc trims to metal and upvc windows

Reply to
Alex

After struggling for years with this sort of "solution" I went along to Woolworths and discovered they had a sprung net rod that does the trick just great as long as you have a frame it can "expand" in to.

You set the length to slightly wider than the frame and compress it to get it inside the frame of the window, and simply "let go" and the spring tension holds it there.

Sadly, I haven`t discovered a way to do this for the bay window we have :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

You could try the type of cement that plumbers use to joint PVC waste pipes. It dissolves the PVC a little and really does work.

However are your curtain rods really PVC? If not it probably won't bond...Cyanoacrylate may work for you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Failing that, attatch some 2x1 PAR to the plasterboard above the windows and screw in hangers from there.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

there are some acrylic hi bond double sided tapes (3M VHB for instance) about that would do the job, but they aren't very cheap. Construction adhesives like devweld 530 would undoubtedly do the job

another option would be to source some of those double sided pads that are used to stick rear view mirrors on to windscreens

Reply to
Simon

Outcome:

I cleaned all surfaces with sand-paper and meths.

I "keyed" the socket/eyelet with sandpaper.

I glued the surfaces using epoxy resin and left for 24 hours before re-attaching the curtain rail and curtains.

The rails have now stayed in place for two days.

Relief.

Reply to
Clive Long,UK