How to remove beading from a window...

And hopefully replace it! I need a guide for removing window beading o

a plastic framed uPVC window-and one for replacing it, any ideas?

I'm not doing it (deep sigh of relief), but my mum is and I'm th computer one, she likes pulling things to bits but she's really stuc on this one.

Thank you!

-- Jo-consistently confused

Reply to
Jo-consistently confused

Jo,

A little more information please.

Are you asking how to remove the glazing bead (the strips complete with rubber that hold the glass in place) or the plastic trims around the window frame that hide the various gaps left during window fitting?

If its the glazing beads:- unless you have a very good reason for removing these (such as glass replacement) then these are best left alone as you may end up breaking the double glazing and possibly causing other problems during refitting.

If its the plastic trims:- then these are usually 'stuck' on using a type of superglue or mastic with a mastic bead around them to tidy things up. These can be very gently 'levered off' and the adhesive removed and then re-stuck - be aware though that things may not go to plan and you could end up with damaged beads or window frames.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

============================ Use a paint scraper to remove the beading. Look for the join between beading and frame and insert paint scraper carefully. Mark each section of beading before removal as they should go back in the same places. Look at the ends of each section of beading before removal and remove those with an overlap first. Replace in the reverse order - i.e. replace sections with overlap last. You'll need a rubber hammer (or other soft-faced hammer) to replace the beadings.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 976 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

See the Wickes good ideas leaflet 26

It shows how to remove the beading and I imagine most makes are similar.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Not easy to find but I think this is it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Insert a wide scraper into the gap between the frame and the beadin and hit it with a nylon hammer, the beading will pop out

-- weekendwarrior

Reply to
weekendwarrior

For the beading, usually starting in the middle of the longest piece try to knock it sideways a little then that should be enough to free up the length of it. The repeat with the others. When you put them back put the ends in first then secure the middle. That's what works on mine but of course yours could be different.

Reply to
adder1969

Click the drop down box headed "Doors an Windows", select "How to fit windows and roof windows (No 26)" How much easier do you want it FFS.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Well if you're going to post a link, post a link FFS

Reply to
Stuart Noble

So what was

? Anyone with half a brain can find the leaflet and see that there may be lots of other useful stuff on the same page.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Is Richard Hammond doing his windows too?

Reply to
adder1969

It's just the same thing as driving through a strange town/city. The people that put up the road signs know where they are going. The poor buggers that are trying to navigate through the signs haven't a clue as to what they mean.

My wife is ADC Beaver Scouts and is always asking me to find sites on the Scouts web sites. This morning, she received a communication to go to a web site to find things for the local Cub Scouts. All it was, was a web site location and no specific page. I spent ages looking for things to do for the Cub Scouts. In the end I gave up and made my usual comment that the Scouts do not know how to make a web page.

So it is not just you that finds links so un-helpful.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On mine (outside glazed), I remove the rubber seal and then remove the beading. It makes it that much more easy. Removing the rubber gives you so much more room to get the beading out

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The message from Dave contains these words:

Worse, they stop shortly before you get to where you're going. York's railway museum's a classic for that. The signs get you to a sort of inner ring-road then dump you. Kidderminster has signs for the Wet Mudlands Safari Park as you come from Telford - then they stop. The last one is before the roundabout at which you should turn right. If you hit the ring-road there are then signs that send you the whole way round the ring instead of taking the first exit.

Reply to
Guy King

Nice to know it is just not me that has this problem then.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The message from Dave contains these words:

The other thing I'd like for road signs we'll never get 'cos it's "Not invented here". The French have village signs as you go into a village - but they also have the same sign with a red diagonal line through it so you know you've left. Particularly with ribbon development it can get very hard to tell where you are as one village melds into another.

Reply to
Guy King