Glue

Yes an actual d-i-y question!

Securing polyurethane foam inside the roof of a steel tractor cab. I have ordered a slab of reconstituted foam to replace the existing home for Robins and Wasps!

The supplier recommends 3M Super 77 which is a spray on adhesive. Not ideal for working in the enclosed location.

The original tucks in behind various flanges so will need fitting time rather than instant grab. I can fangle up some props as a temporary support.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The spray-on stuff will fail if the sun heats the steel roof. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Get some masks.

Reply to
phister

Some "board fix" expanding foam perhaps?

Reply to
John Rumm

Tim Lamb wrote

There's a old-time car upholstery chap on youtube, says everyone recommends super77 and they're all wrong!

Andy Burns

I used PVA to stick foam to plaster, don't know if it works on metal.

Reply to
The Other John

won't block solvets at all.

Reply to
Animal

I would look at one of the silicone like gunges that comes in a tube you fit in a ‘gun’. There are a number - used on boats, caravans, motorhomes, …. to secure / seal all kinds of things - solar panels, trim, …. Holding a bit of foam would seem like child’s play.

The most well known brand is probably Silkaset but Bostik make a range.

Reply to
Brian

I had good success with low foam polyurethane glue. You need to prop it in position though until it sets. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think I am going to try Stixall. My sort of price and skill set:-) I don't have much experience with foam as a glue rather than a space filler. I'll cut some ply bearers and support posts. Won't add much value to a 44 year old tractor but last years Wasp nest and this years persistent Robin encourage action!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I am going to try Stixall. My price and skill set!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes it goes all slimey and messy.

I found this out on a unit just inside a window. Heat seems to be the enemy of many glues. Obviously you might need to consult Dow Cornings technical data or something, as military uses their glues and I'd doubt if it fell on ehe head of a squaddie it would be very useful. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've used this, successfully, for many things and would be surprised if it didn't work:

nothanks

I have only used canned foam and never stretched to the gun and cleaning tackle.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

"For bonding rigid PU, we recommend using polyurethane adhesives such as Araldite 2018 and Araldite 2028-1 and structural acrylics; Permabond TA4204."

Just the dispenser looks expensive. I prefer squeeze bottles with caps for stuff like this.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

This seems to be the equivalent aerosol offering:

guns are, err, cheap and seem to work OK but I treated myself to a "Roughneck 32-320 Professional Foam Gun" a while ago and it's much nicer to use than the cheapies. Unless I need a different foam I leave the can on until empty and only clean when I change can.

Reply to
nothanks

Oh the glue is a very slow and low expansion foam. Comes in a simple squeeze bottle.

All you need to do is make sure the pieces are clamped so the foam doesn't push them apart

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

6576H only seems to come in the gun version. 4108H appears to be the nearest equivalent. Wickes do Hippo 253378 claimed to be in stock!
Reply to
Tim Lamb