Gizmo to show if lid has been lifted?

Is the any ready made flip-flop gizmo to show if a hinged lid has been opened?

My outdoor parcel dropbox doesn't have an indicator to show if anything has been put inside and it's a chore to unlock it every time you want to check.

I can use a piece of sticky tape postioned so it gets moved or broken when the hinged lid is opened. Alternatively I could perch something on top of the lid which falls to the ground when the lid is opened. However something more permanent would be better.

Perhaps there's some gizmo to show if a drawer or door has been opened which can be reset.

Reply to
pamela

Is it on the outside wall of the house where you could run a thin metal rod though to the indoors (through the wall) and drop a ring off when the rod is pulled though by the lid opening or summat?

Failing mechanical it could be electrical (LED locked on, reset with button on the inside etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

there are plenty of ways to do it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No reason why you didn't offer one then?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A quick look round t'internet suggests nobody sells boxes with an indicator. I wondered why. Security? If someone knows there's something in your box might they be tempted?

Reply to
Graham Harrison

The mailbox is just outside my front door at shoulder height. It might be simpler to have a physical indicator which I could see as soon as I looked out.

Going through the wall isn't viable but an electrical sensor (optical, magnetic, etc) seems a nice idea but it might be fiddly to install because any transmitter would be outside the box as it's all metal and battries would need replacing.

Reply to
pamela

Security seems to be the thing. However I'm in a particularly quiet area, so it's not an issue here. If it wasn't for the rain, I would be happy if they left packages on the doorstep.

I got the drop box for when I'm out and the postman takes the package away rather than leave it with a neighbour. I then chase it up for re-delivery and have to make sure I am in when they call again or it gets sent back and all that hoopla.

Reply to
pamela

Of course there's a reason. Do you want to waste time discussing trivial things back & forth?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Phew!

Erm, do you know where you are mate? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

"mailbox delivery indicator" finds some...

Some are a springything that pops up when the lid is opened. And I have seen plenty of indicators where a small colored ball (fishing float) falls out of a cup on the lid and dangles once the lid has been opened.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

So let me get this straight. this device then is not locked, but gets locked by the act lof somebody putting a parcel in and closing the lid? Bear with me as I've never seen one. The question is if its supposed to be a asafe place to deliver to, and you get two parcels, how does the second driver open it to deliver it?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm in a discussion group where I choose to discuss things that have some sort of value. Any more moronic questions?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A tiny hole could be drilled though and the wires put through, and it could be sealed either by silicon or a suitably squishy grommet.

A simple read switch and on the inside end some form ofmechanical counter device. They used to be very common once, but now everyting is hi tech, maybe there is a hi tech equivelent. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Good for you! When are you going to do so over here?

Any more moronic statements?

You have had plenty of time now to actually come up with an alternative answer to the OP's question.

We are all ears ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Tabby, there's no obligation to post to this thread if you don't wish to.

Last message I read from you was that you use a text file to keep notes. Surely it wasn't necessary to post something as inane as that and yet a few days later you come and post something equally inane here.

Reply to
pamela

That is how some of these devices are designed: the box gets locked after an item is placed in it and no further items can be deposited.

However mine can take multiple deliveries and uses a pivoting shelf to thieving hands from reaching in. The problem is I can't see if anything's been left there without opening the lock.

Reply to
pamela

'Tis me indeed. You didn't tell Jim mail boxes in the USA nearly all use a mechnical flag to show when there are contents.

pamela

They sound close to what I want provided it doesn't depend on the postman setting it. The coloured ball would be good too. I can't find these on Google. Do you have any links?

Reply to
pamela

How big a package are you expecting? If no bigger than a very fat A4 envelope you could make a letterbox in your front door like most other people in the UK. I have recently enlarged my letterbox to take all the A4's I was getting.

I think it would not be too difficult to have an indicating lever screwed to the side of your box by one screw, in such a position that it gets moved by the lid when opened. You might have to fix something to the lid, or make a claw in it, to push the lever.

Reply to
Dave W

"Mail Time! Yellow Mailbox Alert" is a springything, also "Mail Alert Ball".

One older gentleman had a small cup on the lid of his mailbox. In this cup was a neon orange ball -- a fishing bobber. Opening the lid moved the cup so the ball would drop, and dangle on a string. This was visible from far away.

Resetting is by replacing the ball in the cup. All the postman does is open the lid...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer