Gizmo to show if lid has been lifted?

Does that mean that the bottom of the box is accessible? How about making four holes in the bottom near the corners, then having something like a small "table" with short legs that sits in the bottom of the box with the legs going through the holes. Now, put soft compression springs over each leg so that the legs only just poke through when the box is empty. But a parcel with any significant weight will push the legs through further and you will be able to see them.

For something more ready-made, I've seen little battery lights operated by a microswitch, meant for fitting inside drawers or cupboards and coming on when they are opened. Could you adapt something like this to be operated by the weight of a package?

Reply to
newshound

Graham.

How about a cheap wireless doorbell, with a mercury (or ball-barring) tilt switch wired across the bell push contacts?

Reply to
Graham.

prat plonked

Reply to
tabbypurr

if the op can't think of even one, maybe it's time to give up on diy. Mine uses 2 smallish drilled holes such that at a glance I can see if somet hing's blocking the light path, which shows skylit white when empty. There are so many other ways to do it it's pointless making sugestions unless we know more detail about what's wanted and whether the lid has a lip round it or not.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You don't quite get the whole idea about sharing ideas in a discussion group eh?

There you are, see, you can offer something useful if you try!

I thought what was wanted was made pretty clear?

whiskey-dave, is that you?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, there was one!

Bye plonker. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Why bother responding to someone who calls themselves by an email address?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You just need a sensor to detect opening, connected to an electronic latching circuit. Send this signal to a lamp inside the house.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Great sound. :)

Reply to
pamela

If you plonk me too I won't have to put up with your banal replies. Thank you.

Reply to
pamela

Thank you. They are a bit too creative fo rme.

Such complexities remind me of the tale how NASA specially commissioned the development of a special gas filled pressurised ballpoint for use in space and asked Fisher to manufacture it. Meanwhile the Russians just used a pencil.

Thomas's suggestions are the sort of simple and effective thing I need.

pamela

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com used his keyboard to write :

Go on then, describe some?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

as I said, if the op comes back with a bit more info including whether the lid is lipped. If OP doesn't bother, nor will I.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Which allegedly caused problems with the electronics due to floating fragments of graphite dust.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Maybe a flag up arm device could be fitted to the box similar to what you see on american house mail boxes which indicate when something has been put in the roadside box.

Ash Burton

FFS, just get an external security camera that detects movement and point it at said box.

Reply to
Andrew

You could just drive to their local sorting office and collect it yourself, or does that offend your sense of 'entitlement'?.

Reply to
Andrew

I don't have a car. I am often too unwell to travel even by taxi.

Reply to
pamela

You're not following this are you? Move on.

Reply to
pamela