Gas pipe in screed.

On 07/07/2017 15:48, michael adams wrote:

Ironically I though the use of fitting a bayonet hose to a fitting on a wall was exempt?

Never bought a cooker from them, so wouldn't know. Anyhow, I've always fitted my own.

Twisting the bayonet hose into the existing fitting on the end of the pipe - is exempt. As its designed to be foolproof. They're usually fitted with a little safety chain to prevent them being accidentally disconnected as well. Alhough quite how someone would manage to do that is another matter. And there would be no leakage in any case as the gas would automatically shut off.
What I'm talking about is screwing the end of the bayonet hose onto the inlet on the back of the cooker.

Indeed. You can buy bayonet hoses everywhere. However if you choose the delivery and installation option from places like Currys who will also remove the old cooker presumably you get stung for the ?70 at some point as well.
michael adams

If you mean me, of course not. All the internal gas pipework was installed by me. Many years ago. And the house is still standing - unlike what a gas safe type would have you believe. ;-)

Why would anyone buy a cooker from them?

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

wrote: > If you mean me, of course not. All the internal gas pipework was installed

But no signed certificate or Gas Safe ID card with your photo on it unfortunately.

They have all the cookers on dispay in their sheds, or I assume they still do. While their delivery and installation option includes taking away your old cooker. For people who don't fancy hiring a van and taking a trip to the local recycling centre - and that's assuming they're comfortable handling things like cookers and have the necessary spanners to connect the hose - I assume that's a plus.
But you're right apart from all those people, why would anyone buy a cooker from them ?
Anyway that's an afternoon of my life I'm never going to get back
michael adams

Not particularly. It was a widely held belief that the vast majority were more than happy to be in a union when they saw the benefits. For those who had genuine reasons not to, other arrangements were made.
Which was the case with ACTT.
Of course if you were one who wanted all the benefits of being in a union without paying for it, a different matter.
But then the standard tax avoiding Tories weren't thick on the ground. But plenty decent ordinary ones.
--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

London SW

Pretty well, yes. But the subs went to a recognised charity. Our management were actually very pro union, and simply wouldn't have put the few in this position of demanding they work when others were on strike. But of course it would have been pretty pointless anyway.

What it means is very highly paid accountants simply stay one step ahead of the rather less competent ones in the IR. Not something the average bloke on PAYE can do.
--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

There is plenty the average bloke on PAYE can do to pay less tax... the government themselves even provide schemes for them to do so when it suits them.
(E.g. open an ISA, pay no tax on the interest / share dividends / capital growth that accumulates in it).
There does seem to be a problem of governments wanting to have their cake and eat it though, when they cook up some complicated scheme to promote investment in some industry or sector, and then get all upset when people use it.
--
Cheers,

John.

Yes. But the company running that ISA etc has employees who pay tax. As will the company itself. They are an above board investment approved of by the tax authorities. Not some scam set up to get out of paying a fair share. Unless you think some multi-national with sales of millions in the UK really only does make a couple of thousand profit here.

There is the spirit and letter of the law, I'd say.
--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

For every tax-avoiding 'tory' (and lots of guardian readers avoid tax too - big time), there is a benefit-sponging Corbyn supporter.

Very easy to know is someone is claiming benefits they ain't entitled to. Companies moving funds around the world to avoid paying UK taxes, a different matter. But then even you know that.
I assume you are extremely wealthy if you think such things are good for the country?
--
*WHY ARE HEMORRHOIDS CALLED "HEMORRHOIDS" INSTEAD OF "ASTEROIDS"?

On 07/07/2017 12:07, michael adams wrote:

The people to be concerned about at the moment are the army of 'smart meter installers' who have done a very minimal course designed for people who have some degree of competence and ability anyway.
Sadly, these courses do not seem to prvent the other type of 'smart meter installer' to complete a course and be let loose on the public.
These are of course the pathologically lazy and stupid, with an IQ that barely qualifies them to make some toast without burning it.
Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :

That's it, it all about money and restrictive practices, all backed by government regulation.
I would trust a competant DIY'er's work in his/her own home over Gas Safe most days of the week. Even the qualified engineers tend to look up the regulations, so no reason why a DIY type should not seek advice too. It demonstrates a level of care.

Indeed. Nothing like knowing the consequences of your actions may come back to bite you. Unlike the average gas cowboy. Which such registration was meant to eliminate, but of course hasn't.
--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :

The electrical regulations are far, far more involved and difficult to discipher than those of gas fitting. Adam has far more reason to be precious of his knowledge than a gas fitter.
On Thursday, 6 July 2017 21:13:48 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

well that's pretty much what uk.d-i-y is.
NT
On 06/07/2017 21:13, michael adams wrote:

I have no problem with any of that.
However I take objection to glib comments of the form "All the suggestions are wrong including the 'drop test' comment"...
Seriously? All of them - every single one is wrong? Even those which are in full compliance with relevant gas fitting standards such as BS6891?
The comment about the soundness testing is also misleading since its obviously a requirement that it be done at some point, but steph's comment offers no guidance as to what exactly he is objecting to.
(a more nuanced answer might include detail that a drop test is required, but it should be done on the completed pipework before any additional protective wrapping or painting of the buried sections of the installation are applied).
--
Cheers,

John.

The advice offered by the Tracpipe suppliers is covered by your first post but includes a requirement to have direction changes at 90deg. presumably taking a lead from the electrical engineers:-)
There will be 60mm of screed on top of the pipe if I go down this route. I guess pipe flow losses will be high in corrugated pipe but two gas rings is not much of a load.

--
Tim Lamb

On 06/07/2017 10:32, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have 3/4 inch screwed iron, painted with bitumen, on top of the slab and buried under screed too deep to be hit by carpet grippers. (1976 house). Outside they used similar but with a yellow plastic sleeve.
Corrosion-protected copper needs to be deep enough to avoid damage, or capped with some inverted metal trough to mechanically protect it, but then you have a void which is frowned upon if it is not ventilated.
On 06/07/2017 09:47, Tim Lamb wrote:

So what is the gas supply for?
--
Michael Chare