Gas pipe in screed.

So what is the gas supply for?

Reply to
Michael Chare

In message , charles writes

I'm not looking to do more of the job than is necessary to prevent holdups elsewhere. Doorways make running the kitchen gas on the surface impractical. Through the screed is permitted by the regulations provided the pipe is properly sleeved. Tracpipe meets the requirements and appears d-i-y able. On a slightly hysterical vote of 1 Steph has answered my question. If you would all kindly stop being critical perhaps a more reasoned explanation will be forthcoming. I rather suspect it might be common practice for builders to undertake simple jobs normally reserved for the skilled trades in order to avoid lost time.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Excellent question. Bags I you ask her while I hide:-)

We have used a gas hob here for 22 years so maybe she feels there are some jobs not so easily done on an induction hob.

As the new kitchen comes out of her pocket I'm standing well back. Corian work surfaces and Quookers notwithstanding:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think we would all be very impressed and grateful if Steph replied in a constructive manner.

I would personally commend him for being helpful.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Then exactly the same applies to any pros on here giving DIY advice about their trade. Like Adam.

Also, just why is a 'Gas Safe' fitter on here? Does he want advice from others on how to do DIY tasks?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or just trolling?

Is there an equivalent publication of gas fitting as there is with IET Regs?

Reply to
Fredxxx

well that's pretty much what uk.d-i-y is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Rather than tracpipe, which I think needs flaring tools etc, you can buy yellow plastic coated copper tube, such as

you might be able to find it in smaller quantities?

otherwise wrap pipe in 2" denso tape? that's what dad (ex EMGAS) used to use.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well no. No one in authority, for the present at least, can obtain a warrant to enter somebody's home to prevent them from their doing their own gas work without first proving their competence. Or in the absence of any such proof to examine their gas installations and appliances and demand to see the relevant certificates.

Nobody is questioning your competence, Charles either then or now. In fact without having information of any kind on which to base a statement, and without researching figures for household gas explosions and their causes, quite possibly 99.99% of work done by DIY'ers always was, and still is, perfectly safe.

And then again you're a self selecting sample. Doubtless in the past 29 years there'll have been at least one or two if not a lot more people who did their own gas work who blew themselves up as a consequence. But then, they're hardly likely to be posting on here, to present the contrary point of view.

Insurers and others on the other hand are solely concerned with that other 0.01%, and the possible consequences should things go wrong. And even without anything going wrong, they're even more enthusiastic about avoiding paying out on claims wherever possible. It might be a condition of a household insurance policy for instance that all gas installations and appliances on the insured premises, installed since a certain date, have been installed and tested and signed off by a Gas Safe Registered, or Corgi as was, fitter*. Similarly with boiler inspections where appropriate. This would even include fitting a bayonet hose to the back of a cooker. Despite the fact that the insured householder might be a retired, but unregistered gas fitter, with 40 years experience.

  • I stand to be corrected but it's my understanding that a Gas Safe Registered fitter is prohibited from signing off any installation for which he wasn't solely responsible, or for which another Gas Safe Registered fitter wasn't responsible. Basically with a new pipe installation in a floor, if this GSR fitter didn't fit it, and there's no paperwork saying another GSR fitter fitted it, then he can't sign off any subsequent work done on that pipe. So while he might still do the checks, he won't sign the work off, such as to satisfy an insurance company. But as I say, I stand to be corrected on this point.

michael adams

michael adams

begin 666 external.gif M1TE&.#EA#0`)`)$``&]O;\7%Q>OKZ____R'Y! $'``,`+ `````-``D```(; =G >I>KB_A)P"TIF"!E?FW56 %D +B0*-F30%`#L` ` end

Reply to
michael adams

No it doesn't. If Adam gives advice on here and someone incompetent, say my next door neighbour, misunderstands that advice, the worst that can happen is that they might electocute themselves along with possibly members of their family. And sad though this might be, once my grief had subsided, that would be it. And although technically incorrect this might be called "Darwin in Action"

If however they had misunderstood advice being given by a gas fitter on here then quite possibly they might not only blow their own house, up but mine too.

Not everybody posting on here lives in a house or cottage on acres of land in the middle of nowhere. As you of all people might have been expected to know.

Possibly he's worried about living next door to incompetents who might be otherwise tempted to do their own gas DIY ?

michael adams

michael adams

I've not been there but it's a job that may need doing here i.d.c. so I've squirrelled away:

FWLIW in your shoes I think I'd look closely at "Alternatively, pass plastic sheathed soft coiled copper through a larger tube that has been previously set into the concrete." And perhaps with "inspection chambers" if there are tight bends: a bit more expense, but then I'm inclined to spend more time on "plan for the worst" than "hope for the best" :(

When that was written the minimum depth was 20mm. But that may have changed.

Reply to
Robin

charles explained :

From personal experience, I have a deep distrust of Gas Safe and before it Corgi engineers. Many come across as extremely prececious, yet I have come across numerous incidents of work done by such being way below a standard even for an amateur. One such engineer's error actually set alight to a house, in a second incident at another house, a supposedly soldered pipe was just held in a solder fitting by friction alone, leaking and almost caused a second fire had the pipe fallen out.

I am an engineer too, not a gas fitter, but I am happy to dispense my knowledge to anyone who might be able to make sensible use of it. I also know several Gas Safe qualified engineers who would likewise be happy to give free advise.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :

The electrical regulations are far, far more involved and difficult to discipher than those of gas fitting. Adam has far more reason to be precious of his knowledge than a gas fitter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I grew up with gas and had a gas supply to my first two properties.

But, now having not had gas for more than 30 years I find the naked flame for cooking quite alarming.

Reply to
Michael Chare

we haven't had a gas hob since we move house, 40 years ago. The result is cleaner kitchen

Reply to
charles

The number of deaths by explosion is so small a number you ought to be more worried about storing petrol and crossing roads.

You seem to have little grasp of proportion.

No, simply he is a troll and hasn't a clue how to answer the question posed here.

Reply to
Fredxxx

charles was thinking very hard :

I/we would not consider any but a gas hob, faster, cheaper and instant control. An hob extractor to outside, takes care of what little dirt comes off.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We moved in here 17 months ago, and from gas in the old house to a halogen hob. Horrid thing. Nine months ago, we had a new kitchen, complete with a shiny new Neff induction hob. I actually wanted gas, but it caused various complications. I would say that induction is about 95% as good as gas, but much, much, *much* easier to keep clean, which makes up for the missing 5%. I don't think there's anything I've found yet which we could do with the gas hob we can't with induction. Scorching peppers in order to peel them, perhaps, but I do that once in a blue moon (I do the majority of the cooking) and could probably use the grill. The induction is actually better at very slow simmering than the gas one was. We only had to replace our frying pans - everything else was "induction safe". Our pressure cooker no longer works, but I only use it for one thing these days (pot roast) so again, once in a blue moon and I can get round that.

About the only thing that's a bit rubbish are the controls, which are a touch sensitive panel at the front of the hob, like this;

(Ours is a 5 zone rather than 4, but the principle's the same)

- If you put something (a pan, say) over the controls it beeps at you

- If you get water on the controls it beeps at you

- I'm forever forgetting to switch control to the correct zone before changing something, so one pan's boiling away furiously while another's doing nothing

- There's no "one touch" way of switching a zone off (there's a "two touch" way I discovered - press "L" (Low) twice & it goes to zero.

- It was much improved by switching off most of the beeps.

I wanted one control per zone, but there don't seem to be any 5 zone hobs like that.

Reply to
Huge

Slower than induction.

As has induction.

Reply to
Huge

I was happy to move from gas to fan electric oven, but I remember horrid old "@" symbol element type electric cookers from student hovels I lived in, so have never moved away from gas hobs ...

To be fair I have never even tried induction/halogen or whatever type of "under glass" electric hobs, they sound easy for cleaning but I gather they're not immune from problems caused by foods boiling over and affecting the surface?

Reply to
Andy Burns