Removal of gas heater

I have a wall mounted gas heater where the gas is supplied via (bare) copper pipe buried in the floor screed. Eventually the floor will be tiled, thus rendering the pipe inaccessible. So, while I am doing the rest of the kitchen I want to take the opportunity to terminate the gas supply prior to the point at which it enters the concrete.
How can I do it? Close valves to and from gas meter. Fit earthing jumper across inlet and outlet pipes. Remove gas meter. Cut gas pipe at convenient point. Seal cut end - but with what? I wondered about a Compression Fan Key Gas Cock on the basis that once I have re-installed the gas meter I can open the tap to purge the gas/air mixture.
When my gas hob is intalled I will expect the fitter to make a proper (?) connection for the hob.
TIA
Richard
--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
together this:

Er, I think you've somewhat over engineered this. I'd call in a CORGI registered gas engineer if I were you.
--

SJW
A gas cock is classed as an open end, which is an imediately dangerou
Paul Barker wrote:

... although a compression cap would be acceptable providing it is accessible. A smear of boss white or other suitable-for-natural-gas joint sealing compound over the mating surfaces will help ensure it is gas-tight, though you must still do a tightness test on the installation to check that it is OK. See Ed's faq.

and has the advantage that at a later date you can just undo it and substitute a coupling to reinstate the supply.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:18:17 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

I'm happy with the OP reading the FAQ - 'Richard' however should remember that 'reading the FAQ does not give him a licence to do gas fitting beyond his level of competence'.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Paul Barker wrote:

I think that I may not have made myself entirely clear. The item that I wish to isolate from the gas supply is a wall mounted gas Heater. I do not want to remove my gas Meter. I only mentioned (temporarily) disconnecting the meter because I had gathered from the plumber who fitted my boiler that it is the prudent thing to do when doing any gas work.
The summary of my aim is the cutting and sealing of the gas pipe to the gas Heater (only).
TIA
Richard
--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:09:05 +0000, Richard wrote:

This is a straight forward job: Cut off gas, bridge across where you are going to cut the pipe (to stop you get an electric shock if your gas pipe has become a part of the electric installation) cut pipe, cap pipe (compression stop end if accessible or solder end NOT a valve.) test for soundness Purge supply to remaining appliances. Turn gas back on. Relight remain appliances.
If you are going to solder and the gas meter is near (less than 2m away) then it is good practice to disconnect the outlet and cap it (or insert a stop disc in the outlet connector.)
Do not remove the meter.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Ed Sirett wrote:

Thanks Ed,
Do I not need to worry about purging the length of capped pipe? That was why I suggested a valve. What I should have included was the intention to fit a short, capped length of pipe down stream from the valve.
Rgds Richard
--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post

Call your gas company, ask them to relocate the meter outside. (there will be a charge). Don't reconnect the gas pipes.
Ian Stirling wrote:

Why do I want to move the meter? It is quiet happily located under the stairs with the lecy meter.
Richard
--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post

I mean ask them to relocate it outside, so it can be more conveniently read.
Ian Stirling wrote:

Ah! Understand now. Unfortunately I do not want a hideous white box on the front of the house and the meter readers only come once a year (so far) to read both elecy and gas, and when they do it's been at crack of dawn on a weekday before work.
Ta
Richard